Electric Rolling Stock
10.7 Self-propelled rolling stock that is electrically powered shall be so designed and constructed that the operator and all other employees are protected from electrical shock or injury by means of protective guards, screens or panels secured by bolts, screws or other equally reliable fasteners.
Automatic Rolling Stock
10.8 Where rolling stock that is controlled or operated by a remote or automatic system may make physical contact with an employee, it shall be prevented from doing so by the provision of an emergency stop system.
10.9 Where self-propelled rolling stock is used for transporting passengers or a locomotive is operated in an area occupied by employees, the rolling stock or locomotive shall be fitted with a horn or other audible warning device that emits a distinctive sound that can be heard clearly above the noise of that rolling stock or locomotive and any ambient noise.
- SOR/95-105, s. 42(E).
Division IIMaintenance, Operation and Use
Inspection, Testing and Maintenance
10.10 (1) Before a class of rolling stock is operated for the first time in a work place, the employer shall set out in writing instructions for the inspection, testing and maintenance of that class of rolling stock.
(2) The instructions referred to in subsection (1) shall specify the nature and frequency of inspections, tests and maintenance.
10.11 (1) Every inspection, test and maintenance of rolling stock shall be performed by a qualified person.
(2) The qualified person referred to in subsection (1) shall
(a) comply with the instructions referred to in subsection 10.10(1); and
(b) make and sign a report of each inspection, test or maintenance work performed by him.
(3) The report referred to in paragraph (2)(b) shall
(a) include the date of the inspection, test or maintenance work performed by the qualified person;
(b) identify the rolling stock that was inspected, tested or maintained; and
(c) set out the safety observations of the qualified person inspecting, testing or maintaining the rolling stock.
(4) The employer shall keep a copy of the instructions referred to in subsection 10.10(1) for as long as the rolling stock is in use.
(5) The employer shall keep a copy of the report referred to in paragraph (2)(b) for one year after the report is signed.
- SOR/95-105, s. 43.
Operator Instruction and Training
10.12 (1) Every operator of self-propelled rolling stock shall be instructed and trained by the employer in the procedures to be followed for
(a) the safe and proper use of the rolling stock; and
(b) the fuelling of the rolling stock, where applicable.
(2) Every employer shall keep a record of any instruction and training referred to in subsection (1) for as long as the operator remains in his employ.
- Date modified: