PART IIICANADIAN CONTENT DEVELOPMENT
15. (1) The following definitions apply in this Part.
- “broadcast year”
“broadcast year” means the period beginning on September 1 and ending on August 31 of the following year. (année de radiodiffusion)
- “Community Radio Fund of Canada”
“Community Radio Fund of Canada” means the independent not-for-profit funding organization known as the Community Radio Fund of Canada Inc. (Fonds canadien de la radio communautaire)
- “eligible initiative”
“eligible initiative” means an initiative that is considered to be eligible for Canadian content development funding as indicated in Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2006-158, dated December 15, 2006 and entitled Commercial Radio Policy 2006. (projet admissible)
“FACTOR” means the not-for-profit organization known as The Foundation Assisting Canadian Talent on Recordings. (FACTOR)
“MUSICACTION” means the not-for-profit organization known as MUSICACTION. (MUSICACTION)
- “spoken word station”
“spoken word station” means an A.M. station, F.M. station or digital radio station that devotes more than 50% of a broadcast week to programming from content category 1. (station de créations orales)
- “total revenues”
“total revenues” means the total broadcast revenues reported by an A.M. licensee, F.M. licensee or digital radio licensee in its annual returns for the previous broadcast year. (revenus totaux)
(2) Except as otherwise provided under a condition of its licence that refers expressly to this subsection and subject to subsection (3), an A.M. licensee, F.M. licensee or digital radio licensee that is licensed to operate a commercial station or ethnic station shall, if the licensee’s total revenues are more than $1,250,000, contribute annually to eligible initiatives $1,000 plus one half of one percent of those revenues that are in excess of $1,250,000.
(3) If a condition of licence imposed prior to June 1, 2007 requires the licensee to make a contribution to the development of Canadian content or Canadian talent that is other than that referred to in subsection (2), the amount that the licensee is required to contribute under that subsection is reduced by the amount that the licensee is required to contribute under the condition of its licence.
(4) [Repealed, SOR/2013-151, s. 1]
(5) Except as otherwise provided under a condition of its license, a licensee whose total revenues are more than $1,250,000 shall make
(a) at least 15% of the contribution referred to in subsection (2) to the Community Radio Fund of Canada; and
(b) at least 45% of the contribution referred to in subsection (2) to FACTOR or MUSICACTION, however, if the licensee is licensed to operate an ethnic station or spoken word station, the licensee may instead make that percentage of the contribution to any eligible initiative that supports the creation of ethnic programs or programming from content category 1, as the case may be.
- SOR/2008-177, s. 10;
- SOR/2011-146, s. 5;
- SOR/2013-151, s. 1.
- Date modified: