14.37 (1) No motorized or manual materials handling equipment shall be parked in a corridor, aisle, doorway or other place where it may interfere with the safe movement of persons, materials, goods or things.
(2) Where motorized or manual materials handling equipment is required to enter or exit a vehicle other than a railway car to load or unload materials, goods or things to or from the vehicle, the vehicle shall be immobilized and secured against accidental movement, by means additional to the vehicle’s braking system.
(3) Where motorized or manual materials handling equipment is required to enter or exit a railway car to load or unload materials, goods or things to or from the railway car, the railway car shall be immobilized.
(4) Any motorized materials handling equipment that is left unattended shall be immobilized against accidental movement, by applying a parking brake or other braking device.
- SOR/88-632, s. 66(F);
- SOR/96-400, s. 1.
Materials Handling Area
14.38 (1) In this section, “materials handling area” means an area within which materials handling equipment may create a hazard to any person.
(2) An employer shall cause warning signs to be posted, or a signaller to be in control, at the approaches to any materials handling area while materials handling operations are in progress.
(3) Only the following persons may enter a materials handling area while materials handling operations are in progress:
(a) a health and safety officer;
(b) an employee whose presence in the materials handling area is essential to the conduct, supervision or safety of the materials handling operations; or
(c) a person who has been authorized by the employer to be in the materials handling area while materials handling operations are in progress.
(4) If any person other than a person referred to in subsection (3) enters a materials handling area, the employer shall cause the materials handling operations in the immediate vicinity of the unauthorized person to be immediately discontinued and to remain discontinued until the person has left that materials handling area.
- SOR/88-68, s. 14;
- SOR/88-632, s. 67(F);
- SOR/94-263, s. 65(F);
- SOR/96-400, s. 1;
- SOR/2002-208, s. 38.
14.39 (1) Subject to subsection (2), no motorized or manual materials handling equipment shall be used in an area in which it may contact an electrical cable, a pipeline containing a hazardous substance or any other hazard known to the employer, unless the employer has informed the operator of the presence and location of the hazard and of the safety clearance that the operator must maintain with respect to the hazard.
(2) Where an employer is unable to determine with reasonable certainty the location of an electrical cable or a pipeline containing a hazardous substance, the electrical cable shall be de-energized or the pipeline shut down and drained before any activity involving the use of motorized materials handling equipment commences within the area of possible contact with the electrical cable or the pipeline.
- SOR/96-400, s. 1;
- SOR/2002-208, s. 43(F).
- Date modified: