APPROPRIATION ACT NO. 1, 1979-80
Order Respecting Terms and Conditions for the Providing of Assistance to Prospectors in the Yukon Territory and the Northwest Territories
P.C. 1981-341 1981-02-12
His Excellency the Governor General in Council, on the recommendation of the Minister of Indian Affairs and Northern Development, is pleased hereby to revoke the Prospectors’ Assistance Regulations, C.R.C., c. 338 and pursuant to Vote 35 of Appropriation Act No. 1, 1979-80Footnote *, to make the annexed Order respecting terms and conditions for the providing of assistance to prospectors in the Yukon Territory and the Northwest Territories, effective April 1, 1981.
Return to footnote *S.C. 1979, c. 2
1. This Order may be cited as the Prospector’s Assistance Terms and Conditions Order.
2. In this Order,
- “assisted prospector”
“assisted prospector” means a prospector to whom assistance is provided under this Order; (prospecteur subventionné)
(a) in relation to matters pertaining to assistance to prospectors prospecting or intending to prospect in the Yukon Territory, the Prospectors’ Assistance Board established under section 6, and
(b) in relation to matters pertaining to assistance to prospectors prospecting or intending to prospect in the Northwest Territories, the Prospectors’ Assistance Board established under section 7; (Commission)
“Director” means the Director of the Northern Non-Renewable Resources Branch of the Department; (Directeur)
“Department” means the Department of Indian Affairs and Northern Development; (ministère)
- “field work”
“field work” means the work performed in the search for occurrences of mineral deposits other than placer; ((travail sur le terrain))
- “fiscal year”
“fiscal year” means the period beginning on and including the 1st day of April in any year and ending on and including the 31st day of March in the year following. (exercice financier)
3. This Order applies only to prospectors prospecting or intending to prospect in the Yukon Territory or the Northwest Territories.
APPLICATION FOR ASSISTANCE
4. (1) Every prospector requesting financial assistance under this Order, shall, prior to June 1 of the fiscal year for which he is requesting assistance, submit to the Mining Recorder for the area in which he intends to prospect
(a) an application in the form set out in Schedule I containing the information required by that form; and
(b) a sketch map of the area or areas in which the applicant intends to prospect.
(2) Each Mining Recorder shall forward all applications submitted to him pursuant to subsection (1) to the Board with his recommendations.
5. No prospector under the age of 21 years is eligible for assistance under this Order unless he intends to carry out field work in the company of an experienced prospector who is 21 years of age or older.
PROSPECTORS’ ASSISTANCE BOARDS
6. A Prospectors’ Assistance Board is hereby established for the Yukon Territory consisting of
(a) the Supervising Mining Recorder for the Yukon Territory, who shall be Chairman of the Board;
(b) the Regional Mining Engineer;
(c) the Regional Geologist; and
(d) not more than two other members, to be appointed by the Director from among the nominees of mining or prospecting associations that are active in the Yukon Territory and acceptable to the Director.
7. A Prospectors’ Assistance Board is hereby established for the Northwest Territories consisting of
(a) the Supervising Mining Recorder for the Northwest Territories, who shall be Chairman of the Board;
(b) the Regional Mining Engineer;
(c) the Regional Geologist; and
(d) not more than two other members, to be appointed by the Director from among the nominees of mining or prospecting associations that are active in the Northwest Territories and acceptable to the Director.
DUTIES OF THE BOARD
8. (1) The Board shall
(a) consider each application for assistance and determine the amount of financial aid required by each applicant;
(b) where it deems necessary, require an applicant to take a simple test to establish his knowledge of prospecting; and
(c) recommend the approval or rejection of any application, as it sees fit.
(2) The Board shall advise each applicant of the disposition of his application and, in the case of a successful applicant, advise him of the amount of assistance that it has recommended and whether it has recommended the payment of an advance.
(3) In considering each application for assistance the Board shall give preference to Canadian citizens and permanent residents as defined in the Immigration Act, 1976.
9. (1) In calculating the amount of assistance to be recommended in respect of a prospector, the Board shall allow
(a) for all expenses, other than travelling expenses, a sum not exceeding $1,500; and
(b) for travelling expenses, a sum not exceeding $2,000.
(2) The Board may allow a per diem allowance of $25 to be included in the allowable expenses under paragraph (1)(a) as a personal labour cost in respect of the period spent by a prospector in field work.
10. The Chairman of the Board shall, pursuant to the recommendation of the Board, authorize the granting of assistance to a prospector
(a) at the beginning of the prospecting season, of the whole or a portion of the recommended amount; and
(b) at the end of the prospecting season, of an amount not exceeding the balance of the amount recommended by the Board, or such part thereof as may be sufficient, in the opinion of the appropriate Review Committee, to reimburse the prospector for his field work expenses.
11. The Board shall arrange for a Mining Engineer of the Department or the Regional Geologist or both to visit each assisted prospector in the field and provide supervision and technical assistance to each such prospector.
12. The Chairman of the Board, the appropriate Regional Mining Engineer and the appropriate Regional Geologist constitute a Review Committee in their respective territories and shall
(a) review all statements of expenditures, diaries or other information submitted by each assisted prospector as evidence of his prospecting activities;
(b) recommend reimbursement to any assisted prospector at the end of the prospecting season if such reimbursement, in its opinion, is necessary; and
(c) maintain records of all payments to prospectors made in each fiscal year and all statements of expenditures together with supporting invoices and documents.
REQUIREMENTS FOR ASSISTANCE
13. Each assisted prospector shall
(a) spend not less than 60 days prospecting within the area described in his application for assistance during the fiscal year for which he applied for assistance;
(b) keep a daily diary of his activities in a form prescribed by the Director;
(c) keep sketches and maps showing mineral occurrences, location of trenches and drill holes and any other type of field work performed within the area prospected by him; and
(d) submit to the appropriate Review Committee at the end of the prospecting season the diary, sketches and maps described in paragraphs (b) and (c) and a statement of expenditures in the form set out in Schedule II, together with supporting invoices and other documents.
FAILURE TO COMPLY
14. (1) It shall be a condition of every grant of assistance to a prospector under this Order that if he fails to comply with paragraph 13(a), any advance of moneys received by him pursuant to paragraph 10(a) shall, subject to subsection (2), be repaid by him to Her Majesty.
(2) If the Committee is satisfied that 60 days prospecting could not be completed by an assisted prospector owing to reasons beyond his control, the Committee may approve the retention by the prospector of any amount already paid to him and the payment of such further amount as the Committee may deem fit.
Indian and Northern Affairs Canada
Affaires indiennes et du Nord Canada
To the Mining Recorder (Yukon Territory — Northwest Territories)Mining District
Au conservateur des registres miniers (Yukon — Territoires du Nord-Ouest) District minier
I, of(City, town, settlement or Post Office)
Par la présente, je, de (Ville, village, agglomération ou bureau de poste)
(Territory/Province)hereby apply for financial assistance for the purpose of conducting bona fide prospecting activity in theMining District of the Yukon Territory/Northwest Territories for the fiscal year 19 to
(Territoire/province) demande de l’aide financière pour mener de véritables activités de prospection dans le district minier du Yukon/des Territoires du Nord-Ouest pour l’exercice financier de 19 à 19
Mailing address — adresse postale
(City, town, settlement - ville, village, agglomération)
telephone no. / No de téléphone
Canadian Citizen/Citoyen canadien Yes/Oui ☐ No/Non ☐
If not a Canadian Citizen state whether a permanent resident as defined in the Immigration Act, 1976.
Si vous n’êtes pas citoyen indiquer si vous êtes un résident permanent, tel que défini dans la Loi sur l’immigration de 1976. >
Physical and/or mental defects — Faiblesses physiques ou mentales
Do such defects affect your ability to prospect? — Ces faiblesses affectent-elles votre capacité de prospecter ?
Character references (please give name, occupation or position and address) — Références personnelles (nom, poste ou occupation, adresse) :
Business or occupation — Commerce ou occupation
PROSPECTING EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING — FORMATION ET ANTÉCÉDENTS EN PROSPECTION
Prospecting experience and training (including Knowledge and experience in other businesses and occupations that would be of aid in prospecting):
Formation et antécédents en prospection y compris des connaissances et des antécédents dans d’autres domaines ou activités connexes :
DETAILS OF PROSPECTING ACTIVITY — DÉTAILS SUR LA PROSPECTION
Details of the prospecting activity I intend to undertake, beginning on or about the day of 19
Détails sur la prospection que je me propose d’entreprendre à compter du jour de 19 environ.
(Attach sketch map of the area(s) you wish to prospect the proposed location(s) of your base camp(s) and explain the methods and procedures you intend to use as well as what you know of the economic possibilities of the area(s) of the prospect(s) on which you wish to work in a brief summary).
(Joindre un plan du district ou des districts que vous voulez prospecter l’emplacement proposé de votre camp ou de vos camps et dans un bref exposé expliquez les techniques que vous entendez employer et dites ce que vous savez des possibilités économiques du ou des districts dans lesquels nous voulez travailler).
|The person whom I will attempt to keep informed of my whereabouts in the field is ...||Nom de la personne que vous essaierez de tenir au courant du lieu où vous vous trouverez sur le terrain.|
|Address — Adresse||Postal code postal|
|Tel — Tél.|
I hereby apply for assistance of: $ toward the cost of food, supplies, other expendable items and rental of prospecting equipment, and an additional sum of:toward the cost of transportation including rental of vehicles pack animals or boats.
Par la présente je demande une aide financière s’élevant à $ pour payer la nourriture, les provisions, d’autres articles et la location de matériel de prospection de même qu’une somme additionnelle de $ pour les frais de déplacement, comprennant la location de véhicules, des bêtes de somme ou de bateaux.
I estimate my transportation cost to be approximately as follows: $
J’estime que mes frais de déplacement s’élèveront approximativement à: $ .
|Name of type of aircraft, motor vehicle, boat pack, animals etc, and the estimated period of charter or rental.||(Indiquer le genre d’avion, de véhicule à moteur, de bateau, de bête de somme, etc., ainsi que la période approximative d’affrètement ou de location).|
If two or more prospectors combine efforts each applicant should indicate his share of the above costs and name the other partners. Furthermore an inexperienced applicant must name the prospector whom he will accompany and his share of the above costs.
Si deux prospecteurs ou plus s’associent, chacun des requérants doit donner le nom de ses partenaires et indiquer la part des frais susmentionnés qu’il assumera. De plus, un requérant inexpérimenté doit donner le nom du prospecteur qui l’accompagnera et indiquer la part des frais susmentionnés qu’il assumera.
DATED AT on the day of 19
DATÉ À le jour de 19
Applicant’s signature / Signature du réquérant
Received by the Prospectors’ Assistance Board
this day of 19
Reçu par la Commission d’aide aux prospecteurs
ce jour de 19 .
Indian and Northern Affairs Canada
Affaires indiennes et du Nord Canada
I, am the prospector who signed the application for Prospectors Assistance dated the day of 19 .
Je, suis le signataire de la demande d’aide aux prospecteurs du jour de 19 .
FOOD COSTS — COÛT DE LA NOURRITURE
Total months / Total des mois
Cost 1 month / Coût 1 mois $
Total food costs / Coût total de la nourriture $
EQUIPMENT COSTS — FRAIS D’ÉQUIPEMENT
I purchased the following equipment at the following prices:
Frais d’équipement (préciser le matériel acheté):
TRAVELLING EXPENSES — FRAIS DE DÉPLACEMENT
I spent the following sums as travelling expenses on the following trips:
Frais de déplacement (donner des précisions sur les déplacements):
OTHER EXPENSES — AUTRES DÉPENSES
In addition I have incurred the following expenses (such as rental of equipment, fuel, explosives, and other expendable items):
Autres dépenses (telles que location de matériel combustible explosifs et autres articles):
In support of this statement I attach receipts, invoices and other pertinent documents.
Joindre reçus, factures et autres pièces justificatives.
- Date modified: