Safety and Environmental Protection
19. The operator shall take all reasonable precautions to ensure safety and environmental protection, including ensuring that
(a) any operation necessary for the safety of persons at an installation or on a support craft has priority, at all times, over any work or activity at that installation or on that support craft;
(b) safe work methods are followed during all drilling, well or production operations;
(c) there is a shift handover system to effectively communicate any conditions, mechanical or procedural deficiencies or other problems that might have an impact on safety or environmental protection;
(d) differences in language or other barriers to effective communication do not jeopardize safety or environmental protection;
(e) all persons at an installation, or in transit to or from an installation, receive instruction in and are familiar with safety and evacuation procedures and with their roles and responsibilities in the contingency plans, including emergency response procedures;
(f) any drilling or well operation is conducted in a manner that maintains full control of the well at all times;
(g) if there is loss of control of a well at an installation, all other wells at that installation are shut in until the well that is out of control is secured;
(h) plans are in place to deal with potential hazards;
(i) all equipment required for safety and environmental protection is available and in an operable condition;
(j) the inventory of all equipment identified in the safety plan and the environmental protection plan is updated after the completion of any significant modification or repair to any major component of the equipment;
(k) the administrative and logistical support that is provided for drilling, well or production operations includes accommodation, transportation, first aid and storage, repair facilities and communication systems suitable for the area of operations;
(l) a sufficient number of trained and competent individuals are available to complete the authorized work or activities and to carry out any work or activity safely and without pollution; and
(m) any operational procedure that is a hazard to safety or the environment is corrected and all affected persons are informed of the alteration.
20. (1) No person shall tamper with, activate without cause, or misuse any safety or environmental protection equipment.
(2) A passenger on a helicopter, supply vessel or any other support craft engaged in a drilling program or production project shall comply with all applicable safety instructions.
21. (1) No person shall smoke on an installation except in those areas set aside by the operator for that use.
(2) The operator shall ensure compliance with subsection (1).
Storing and Handling of Consumables
22. The operator shall ensure that fuel, potable water, spill containment products, safety-related chemicals, drilling fluids, cement and other consumables are
(a) readily available and stored on an installation in quantities sufficient for any normal and reasonably foreseeable emergency condition; and
(b) stored and handled in a manner that minimizes their deterioration, ensures safety and prevents pollution.
- Date modified: