Granular Materials, Borrow Pits and Quarries
118. Where Foothills uses a borrow pit or quarry, Foothills shall minimize to the satisfaction of the designated officer
(a) the disturbance of the environment in the vicinity of the borrow pit or quarry;
(b) the amount of land used for the borrow pit or quarry; and
(c) the amount of materials extracted from the borrow pit or quarry.
119. Foothills shall, where possible, use existing roads, trails or cutlines for access to borrow pits or quarries.
120. Foothills shall leave buffer strips of undisturbed vegetation between any borrow pit or quarry that it opens and any adjacent road.
121. (1) Foothills shall not, without the approval of the designated officer, use a borrow pit or quarry adjacent to or within a waterbody, swamp, marsh, bog or fen.
(2) Where the use of a borrow pit or quarry referred to in subsection (1) has been approved by the designated officer, Foothills shall take such measures as are satisfactory to the designated officer to minimize siltation in that waterbody, swamp, marsh, bog or fen, as the case may be.
122. (1) When directed by the designated officer, Foothills shall close and rehabilitate, in a manner satisfactory to the designated officer, any borrow pit or quarry that it uses.
(2) Where Foothills is required to rehabilitate a borrow pit or quarry pursuant to subsection (1), it shall, to the satisfaction of the designated officer,
(a) stabilize the ground surface; and
(b) re-establish vegetation on such ground surface.
123. Where Foothills uses any granular materials for the construction of the pipeline, it shall use such granular materials in a manner satisfactory to the designated officer and compatible with any other use of such materials by persons residing in that portion of the Province through which the pipeline passes.
124. Foothills shall establish blasting procedures satisfactory to the designated officer to minimize
(a) any adverse effects on bird, fish or mammal populations, and
(b) any interference with fishing, hunting, guiding or trapping
in the area through which the pipeline passes.
125. Foothills shall not blast within 20 m of any waterbody, swamp or marsh without the approval of the designated officer.
126. Where Foothills intends to blast, it shall advise persons living in the vicinity of its intention and of the time of the intended blasting.
127. Foothills shall, when requested by the designated officer, submit to him site-specific data satisfactory to him on the hydrological or geotechnical conditions at any place where the pipeline crosses any waterbody.
- Date modified: