PLACE OF AND FEES FOR EXAMINATIONS
24. (1) Examinations conducted by the committee of examiners shall be held at such place as the Authority may from time to time prescribe in a notice given by the Authority to the persons who will take the examinations.
(2) The fees payable for the examination are the following:
(a) $150 for the written portion; and
(b) $100 for the oral portion.
- SOR/2003-224, s. 4;
- SOR/2009-329, s. 11.
ELIGIBILITY FOR APPRENTICESHIP SYSTEM
25. (1) The name of an applicant who wishes to become an apprentice pilot and meets the qualifications for an applicant for or a holder of a licence set out in the Act, the General Pilotage Regulations and these Regulations shall be placed by a committee of examiners on an eligibility list prepared by them under paragraph 22(a).
(1.1) The name of an applicant who meets the qualifications referred to in subsection (1) shall be placed on the eligibility list after the last name on the list.
(1.2) If several applicants meet the qualifications referred to in subsection (1) at the same time, their names shall be placed on the eligibility list after the last name on the list in an order that ranks them, from highest to lowest, in accordance with their results in the examinations referred to in section 23.
(2) The name of an applicant referred to in subsection (1) shall remain on the eligibility list for a period of two years.
(3) Upon the expiration of the two-year period referred to in subsection (2), the name of the applicant shall be removed from the eligibility list unless he establishes to the satisfaction of the committee of examiners that he
(a) has, during the two-year period, maintained sea service in each area in respect of which he intends to become an apprentice pilot; and
(b) meets the qualifications referred to in subsection (1).
- SOR/2003-224, s. 5.
APPOINTMENT OF APPRENTICE PILOTS
26. If the Authority requires an apprentice pilot to meet the needs of the pilotage service, the Authority may appoint as an apprentice pilot a person whose name is at the top of the eligibility list referred to in section 25.
- SOR/2003-224, s. 6.
DURATION OF APPRENTICESHIP
27. (1) An apprentice pilot shall
(a) to qualify for a licence for Area 1, serve as an apprentice for a period of not less than three months in that Area and complete during that period not less than 50 assignments in the Area with a licensed pilot; or
(b) to qualify for a licence for Areas 2 to 5,
(i) serve as an apprentice for a period of not less than six months and not more than 24 months in those Areas, and
(ii) during the period served as required by subparagraph (i), complete not less than 90 assignments with a licensed pilot.
(2) A person shall cease to be an apprentice pilot when he
(a) is granted a licence;
(b) withdraws from the apprenticeship system; or
(c) is discharged from the apprenticeship system by the Authority.
- SOR/78-839, s. 2;
- SOR/2009-329, s. 12.
- Date modified: