MINIMUM NUMBER OF LICENSED PILOTS OR HOLDERS OF PILOTAGE CERTIFICATES ON BOARD
16. (1) Subject to subsection (2), the minimum number of licenced pilots or holders of pilotage certificates that shall be on board a ship at any time is one, except that two pilots shall be on board
(a) for any voyage during which the ship would require the services of a pilot on bridge watch for a period exceeding eight consecutive hours;
(b) for any voyage during which the ship would require the services of a pilot on bridge watch for a distance exceeding 105 consecutive nautical miles;
(c) where the ship cannot be safely navigated by only one pilot on bridge watch; or
(d) where the ship has requested two pilots.
(2) A licensed pilot or holder of a pilotage certificate who has conduct of a towed ship may be on board the tug by which it is towed.
- SOR/83-23, s. 2;
- SOR/85-256, s. 2;
- SOR/90-292, s. 1.
17. (1) The classes of licences that may be issued by the Authority are Class I and Class II licences.
(2) A licence issued by the Authority shall have an endorsement on it that states what class of licence it is as well as the compulsory pilotage areas in which the holder may pilot.
(3) The holder of a Class II licence is entitled to receive a Class I licence after having served satisfactorily as the holder of a Class II licence for a period of one year.
(4) An apprentice pilot who meets the qualifications for a licence, shall be issued a Class II licence.
- SOR/2009-329, s. 9.
18. A pilotage certificate issued by the Authority shall have an endorsement thereon stating
(a) the size and type of ship that the holder of the certificate may pilot, and
(b) the compulsory pilotage areas in which or the specific routes within a compulsory pilotage area on which the holder may pilot,
and may have an endorsement thereon setting out any requirements or restrictions applicable to the holder.
APPLICATIONS FOR LICENCES AND PILOTAGE CERTIFICATES
19. An applicant for a licence or pilotage certificate shall
(a) provide the Authority with such evidence, information and references as will satisfy the Authority that he meets all the qualifications prescribed by the Act, the General Pilotage Regulations and these Regulations of an applicant for and the holder of the licence or pilotage certificate for which he is applying; and
(b) pay a fee of $50 to the Authority for the issue of the licence or pilotage certificate.
20. The holder of a licence or pilotage certificate shall be required to take further training to enable him to meet the qualifications of holders of licences and pilotage certificates prescribed by these Regulations since his licence or certificate was issued when he is unable to meet those qualifications.
- Date modified: