PART IIRE-ESTABLISHMENT CREDIT
Marginal note:Entitlement to re-establishment credit by veteran
8. Subject to this Act, every member of the forces who does not elect to take benefits under Part I of the Veterans' Land Act, except section 17 thereof, or any educational, vocational or technical training benefits under the Veterans Rehabilitation Act is, in order to assist in his re-establishment, eligible, in addition to the war service gratuity, for a re-establishment credit in an amount equal to the total amount payable to him under subsection 3(1).
- R.S., 1952, c. 289, s. 8;
- 1953-54, c. 66, s. 10 "62".
Marginal note:Other persons to whom credit may be made available
9. (1) Where a member dies without having used all of the re-establishment credit for which he is eligible under this Act, any unused portion thereof may, in the discretion of the Minister, be made available to
(a) the widow of the member, in the case of a male member;
(b) any dependent children of the member, in the case of a male or female member, if the member dies without leaving any widow or widower or if the widow or widower is dead or cannot be found or it appears to the Minister that she or he has abandoned the children; or
(c) the dependent mother of the member, in the case of a male or female member, if there is no person described in paragraph (a) or (b) to whom the said credit may be made available.
Marginal note:Child or mother presumed dependent
(2) For the purposes of this section a child or mother of a member shall be presumed to be a dependent child or mother if, in the opinion of the Minister, such child or mother was, at the time of the member’s death, wholly or substantially dependent upon such member for support.
Marginal note:Credit available to person designated by Minister
(3) Any credit made available to the widow, child or mother of a member pursuant to subsection (1) may, with the approval of the Minister, be made available to such other person for the benefit of the widow, child or mother as the Minister designates, in such manner and, in any case where there is more than one child, in such shares as the Minister may determine.
(4) No credit shall be made available pursuant to subsection (1)
(a) to the widow of a member after her remarriage, or
(b) to the widow, child or mother of a member, unless he or she is resident in Canada and the Minister is satisfied that the credit will be used for one or more of the purposes specified in section 14.
(5) In this section and section 10, the expression "child" means a child, including a natural child, stepchild or adopted child, who is under twenty-one years of age, or who is twenty-one or more years of age and is in receipt of a pension under the Pension Act.
- 1953-54, c. 46, s. 1;
- 1959, c. 18, s. 4.
- Date modified: