DIRECTOR AND EMPLOYEES
Marginal note:The Director, The Veterans’ Land Act
3. (1) The person who from time to time holds the office of the Deputy Minister of Veterans Affairs or such person as the Deputy Minister may designate is, by virtue of holding that office or by virtue of that designation, as the case may be, The Director, The Veterans’ Land Act (in this Act referred to as “the Director”).
(2) This Act shall be administered by the Minister and the powers and duties conferred or imposed by this Act on the Director shall be exercised or performed subject to the direction of the Minister.
- R.S., 1970, c. V-4, s. 3;
- 2000, c. 34, s. 59.
4. (1) Such officers, instructors, clerks, stenographers and other employees as may be required for the purposes of this Act shall be appointed or employed in the manner authorized by law.
Marginal note:Duties and functions
(2) All such appointees shall perform such duties and functions as the Director may prescribe.
- R.S., 1952, c. 280, s. 4.
CORPORATE POWERS OF THE DIRECTOR
Marginal note:Director to be a corporation sole
5. (1) For the purposes of acquiring, holding, conveying and transferring and of agreeing to convey, acquire or transfer any of the property that he is by this Act authorized to acquire, hold, convey, transfer, agree to convey or agree to transfer, but for such purposes only, the Director is a corporation sole and he and his successors have perpetual succession, and as such he is the agent of Her Majesty in right of Canada.
Marginal note:Legal proceedings
(2) Actions, suits or other legal proceedings in respect of any right or obligation acquired or incurred by the Director on behalf of Her Majesty, whether in his name or in the name of Her Majesty, may be brought or taken by or against the Director in the name of the Director in any court that would have jurisdiction if the Director were not an agent of Her Majesty.
Marginal note:Conveyance to constitute new titles
(3) All conveyances from the Director constitute new titles to the land conveyed and have the same and as full effect as grants from the Crown of previously ungranted Crown lands.
Marginal note:Property to vest in the Director
(4) All property acquired for any of the purposes of this Act shall vest in the Director as such corporation sole; but the provisions of this section do not in any way restrict, impair or affect the powers conferred upon the Director generally by this Act nor subject him to the provisions of any enactment of the Parliament of Canada or the legislature of any province respecting corporations.
Marginal note:Seal of Director
(5) The Director in his corporate capacity shall have an impress seal inscribed with the words “The Director, The Veterans’ Land Act” and showing the coat of arms of Canada.
Marginal note:Execution of documents
(6) All documents that require execution by the Director in his corporate capacity shall be deemed validly executed if the said seal is affixed and the name of the Director is signed thereto, the whole in the presence of one other person who has subscribed his name as witness; and every document that purports to be impressed with the seal of the Director and to be sealed and signed in the presence of a witness by the Director is admissible in evidence in all courts in Canada without proof of any such seal or of such sealing or signing.
Marginal note:Land deemed to be held by Director as corporation sole
(7) Any land vested in the Director in respect of which an assessment has been duly made by a taxing authority is hereby declared for the purpose of recourse to the land itself for realization of taxes based upon such assessment and for such purpose only, to be held by the Director as such corporation sole and not as an agent of Her Majesty in right of Canada.
(8) Any land vested in the Director to which a court order or judgment referred to in section 37 applies is hereby declared, for the purpose of the application of that section, to be held by the Director as a corporation sole and not as an agent of Her Majesty in right of Canada.
- R.S., 1970, c. V-4, s. 5;
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 78, s. 1.
- Date modified: