Marginal note:Grant to Indian veteran
46. (1) The Director may grant an amount not exceeding two thousand three hundred and twenty dollars to an Indian veteran who settles on Indian reserve lands, the said grant to be paid to the Minister of Indian Affairs and Northern Development who shall have the control and management thereof on behalf of the Indian veteran.
Marginal note:Disbursements by Minister
(2) A grant made pursuant to subsection (1) shall be disbursed by the Minister of Indian Affairs and Northern Development on behalf of the Indian veteran only for one or more of the following purposes:
(a) the purchase of essential building materials and other costs of construction;
(b) the clearing and other preparation of land for cultivation;
(c) the purchase of essential farm livestock and machinery;
(d) the purchase of machinery or equipment essential to forestry;
(e) the purchase of commercial fishing equipment;
(f) the purchase of trapping or fur farming equipment but not breeding stock;
(g) the purchase of essential household equipment;
(h) the acquisition of occupational rights to lands, vacant or improved, located within the boundaries of any Indian reserve; and
(i) the purchase of improvements on the Indian reserve lands at the time the Indian veteran is approved for a grant under this section.
Marginal note:Grant not in addition to other grant or sale
(3) An Indian veteran on whose behalf a grant has been made under this section is not entitled to enter into a contract with the Director under section 11 or 17, and an Indian veteran who has entered into a contract with the Director under section 11, 17 or 26 is not eligible for a grant under this section unless, in either case, all disbursements made under this Act on behalf of or in respect of the veteran together with interest thereon at the rate of three and one-half per cent per annum are repaid to the Director.
Marginal note:Definition of “Indian reserve”
(4) In this section, “Indian reserve” means
- R.S., 1970, c. V-4, s. 46;
- 1984, c. 18, s. 217.
47. [Repealed, 2000, c. 34, s. 63]
48. (1) The Governor in Council may, subject to this Part, make regulations prescribing
(a) qualifications necessary in order to entitle veterans to the benefits or assistance or to any particular benefit or assistance under this Part;
(b) the manner in which applications for purchase and sale may be made;
(c) the manner in and the dates at which amortized or other payments shall commence, be repaid, be consolidated or be changed;
(d) the manner in and conditions upon which veterans may transfer their rights;
(e) the conditions subject to which land may be acquired for the purposes of this Part;
(f) the manner in which lands acquired by the Director may be sold to veterans and others and the conditions as to occupation or otherwise upon which such lands may be sold;
(g) the rate of interest to be paid on a contract entered into under section 27;
(h) forms of agreements, notices and other documents necessary to the effective operation of this Part;
(i) the circumstances and procedure under which and whereby the Director may take over or repossess property in case of default made by veterans in the observance of this Part or of any other covenant or agreement made by veterans with the Director;
(j) authority and procedure for the inclusion within the expression “veteran” of persons, who being otherwise qualified to be veterans are not yet discharged from military or other service; and
(k) with respect to any other matter concerning which the Minister deems regulations necessary for the execution of the purposes of this Part.
(2) [Repealed, 2000, c. 34, s. 64]
- R.S., 1970, c. V-4, s. 48;
- 2000, c. 34, s. 64.
- Date modified: