Marginal note:Notice of default
309. A trustee shall, within thirty days after the trustee becomes aware of the occurrence thereof, give to the holders of subordinated indebtedness issued under a trust indenture notice of every event of default arising under the trust indenture and continuing at the time the notice is given, unless the trustee believes on reasonable grounds that it is in the best interests of the holders of the subordinated indebtedness to withhold the notice and so informs the issuer and guarantor in writing.
Marginal note:Duty of care
310. (1) In exercising a trustee’s powers and discharging a trustee’s duties, the trustee shall
(a) act honestly and in good faith with a view to the best interests of the holders of the subordinated indebtedness issued under the trust indenture; and
(b) exercise the care, diligence and skill of a reasonably prudent trustee.
Marginal note:Reliance on statements
(2) Notwithstanding subsection (1), a trustee is not liable if the trustee relies in good faith on statements contained in a statutory declaration, certificate, opinion or report that complies with this Act or the trust indenture.
Marginal note:No exculpation
311. No term of a trust indenture or of any agreement between a trustee and the holders of subordinated indebtedness issued thereunder or between the trustee and the issuer or guarantor operates to relieve a trustee from the duties imposed on the trustee by sections 302, 306 and 309 and subsection 310(1).
Financial Statements and Auditors
Annual Financial Statement
Marginal note:Financial year
312. (1) The financial year of a company ends, at the election of the company in its by-laws, on the expiration of the thirty-first day of October or the thirty-first day of December in each year.
Marginal note:First financial year
(2) Where a company has, after the first day of July in any year, obtained an order approving the commencement and carrying on of business, the first financial year of the company ends, at the election of the company in its by-laws, on the expiration of the thirty-first day of October or the thirty-first day of December in the next calendar year.
Marginal note:Annual financial statement
313. (1) The directors of a company shall place before the shareholders at every annual meeting
(a) a comparative annual financial statement (in this Act referred to as an “annual statement”) relating separately to
(i) the financial year immediately preceding the meeting, and
(ii) the financial year, if any, immediately preceding the financial year referred to in subparagraph (i);
(b) the report of the auditor of the company; and
(c) any further information respecting the financial position of the company and the results of its operations required by the by-laws of the company to be placed before the shareholders at the annual meeting.
Marginal note:Annual statement — contents
(2) With respect to each of the financial years to which it relates, the annual statement of a company must contain the prescribed statements and any information that is in the opinion of the directors necessary to present fairly, in accordance with the accounting principles referred to in subsection (4), the financial position of the company as at the end of the financial year to which it relates and the results of the operations and changes in the financial position of the company for that financial year.
Marginal note:Additional information
(3) A company shall include with its annual statement
(a) a list of the subsidiaries of the company, other than subsidiaries that are not required to be listed by the regulations and subsidiaries acquired pursuant to section 457 or pursuant to a realization of security in accordance with section 458 and which the company would not otherwise be permitted to hold, showing, with respect to each subsidiary,
(i) its name and the address of its head or principal office,
(ii) the book value of the aggregate of any shares of the subsidiary beneficially owned by the company and by other subsidiaries of the company, and
(iii) the percentage of the voting rights attached to all the outstanding voting shares of the subsidiary that is carried by the aggregate of any voting shares of the subsidiary beneficially owned by the company and by other subsidiaries of the company; and
(b) such other information as the Governor in Council may, by order, require in such form as may be prescribed.
Marginal note:Accounting principles
(4) The financial statements referred to in subsection (1), paragraph (3)(b) and subsection 315(1) shall, except as otherwise specified by the Superintendent, be prepared in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, the primary source of which is the Handbook of the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants. A reference in any provision of this Act to the accounting principles referred to in this subsection shall be construed as a reference to those generally accepted accounting principles with any specifications so made.
(5) The Governor in Council may make regulations respecting subsidiaries that are not required to be listed for the purposes of paragraph (3)(a).
- 1991, c. 45, s. 313;
- 1997, c. 15, s. 369;
- 2001, c. 9, s. 514;
- 2005, c. 54, s. 434.
- Date modified: