2.1 For the purposes of this Act, a person who is named in a shipping record accompanying dangerous goods or a means of containment on entry into Canada as the person in Canada to whom the dangerous goods or the means of containment is to be delivered is deemed to be importing the dangerous goods or means of containment.
- 2009, c. 9, s. 2.
APPLICATION OF ACT
Marginal note:Binding on Her Majesty
3. (1) This Act is binding on Her Majesty in right of Canada or a province.
(2) In addition to its application in Canada, this Act applies to vessels and aircraft outside Canada that are registered in Canada.
Marginal note:Exceptions — regulations and certificates
(3) This Act does not apply to the extent that its application is excluded by a regulation made under paragraph 27(1)(e) or by a certificate issued under section 31.
Marginal note:Other exceptions
(4) This Act does not apply in relation to
(a) any activity or thing under the sole direction or control of the Minister of National Defence, including in circumstances in which the regulations provide that it is under that Minister’s sole direction or control;
(c) dangerous goods confined only by the permanent structure of a vessel.
- 1992, c. 34, s. 3;
- 2009, c. 9, s. 3.
AGREEMENT WITH PROVINCES
Marginal note:Agreement with provinces
4. (1) The Minister may
(a) with the approval of the Governor in Council, enter into an agreement with one or more provincial governments with respect to the administration of this Act; and
(b) subject to such terms and conditions as the Governor in Council may specify in the approval, agree to amendments to the agreement.
(2) The Minister shall make the agreement public.
SAFETY AND SECURITY
Safety Requirements, Security Requirements, Safety Standards and Safety Marks
Marginal note:General prohibition
5. No person shall import, offer for transport, handle or transport any dangerous goods unless
(a) the person complies with all safety requirements and security requirements that apply under the regulations;
(b) the goods are accompanied by all documents that are required under the regulations;
(c) a means of containment is used for the goods that is required or permitted under the regulations; and
(d) the means of containment and means of transport comply with all safety standards that apply under the regulations and display all applicable safety marks in accordance with the regulations.
- 1992, c. 34, s. 5;
- 2009, c. 9, s. 4.
- Date modified: