ADMINISTRATION AND ENFORCEMENT
Marginal note:Failure to file a return when required
64. Every person who fails to file a return as and when required under section 26 shall pay a penalty equal to the total of
(a) an amount equal to 1% of the amount of charges unpaid at the expiry of the time for filing the return, and
(b) the amount obtained when one quarter of the amount determined under paragraph (a) is multiplied by the number of complete months, not exceeding 12, from the day on which the return was required to be filed to the day on which the return is filed.
Marginal note:Failure to answer demand
65. Every person who fails to file a return as and when required under a demand issued under section 33 is liable to a penalty of $250.
Marginal note:Failure to provide information
66. Every person who fails to provide any information or record as and when required under this Act is liable to a penalty of $100 for every failure unless, in the case of information required in respect of another person, a reasonable effort was made by the person to obtain the information.
Marginal note:False statements or omissions
67. Every person who knowingly, or under circumstances amounting to gross negligence or, in the Province of Quebec, gross fault, makes or participates in, assents to or acquiesces in the making of a false statement or omission in a return, application, form, certificate, statement, invoice or answer (each of which is in this section referred to as a “return”) is liable to a penalty of the greater of $250 and 25% of the total of
(a) if the false statement or omission is relevant to the determination of an amount payable under this Act by the person, the amount, if any, by which
(i) the amount payable
(ii) the amount that would be payable by the person if the amount payable were determined on the basis of the information provided in the return, and
(b) if the false statement or omission is relevant to the determination of a refund or any other payment that may be obtained under this Act, the amount, if any, by which
(i) the amount that would be the refund or other payment payable to the person if the refund or other payment were determined on the basis of the information provided in the return
(ii) the amount of the refund or other payment payable to the person.
Offences and Punishment
Marginal note:Offence for failure to file return or to comply with demand or order
68. (1) Every person who fails to file or make a return as and when required under this Act or who fails to comply with an obligation under subsection 48(5) or (8) or section 49 or an order made under section 74 is guilty of an offence and, in addition to any penalty otherwise provided, is liable on summary conviction to a fine of not less than $1,000 and not more than $25,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 12 months, or to both.
(2) A person who is convicted of an offence under subsection (1) for a failure to comply with a provision of this Act is not liable to pay a penalty imposed under section 65 or 66 for the same failure, unless a notice of assessment for the penalty was issued before the information or complaint giving rise to the conviction was laid or made.
- Date modified: