BINDING ON HER MAJESTY
Marginal note:Binding on Her Majesty
3. This Act is binding on Her Majesty in right of Canada or of a province.
4. The purpose of this Act is to protect public health by taking comprehensive measures to prevent the introduction and spread of communicable diseases.
POWERS OF MINISTER
Marginal note:Designating analysts and certain officers
5. (1) The Minister may designate qualified persons, or classes of qualified persons, as analysts, screening officers or environmental health officers.
Marginal note:Designating quarantine officers
(2) The Minister may designate medical practitioners or other qualified health care practitioners, or classes of such persons, as quarantine officers.
Marginal note:Designating review officers
(3) The Minister may designate medical practitioners as review officers.
Marginal note:Certificate to be produced
(4) The Minister shall give a certificate of designation to every screening officer who is not also a customs officer, to every quarantine officer and to every environmental health officer. An officer to whom a certificate has been given shall produce it, on request, to the person in charge of a place or conveyance that the officer inspects and to any person that the officer questions.
Marginal note:Quarantine station
6. (1) The Minister may establish a quarantine station at any place in Canada.
Marginal note:Provision and maintenance of area or facility
(2) The operator of a facility in which a customs office, within the meaning of subsection 2(1) of the Customs Act, is located shall, when required in writing by the Minister, provide and maintain free of charge any area or facility, along with its fixtures, that the Minister considers necessary for establishing a quarantine station.
Marginal note:Quarantine facilities
7. The Minister may by order designate any place in Canada as a quarantine facility and amend, cancel or reinstate the designation.
Marginal note:Duty to provide
8. (1) Any person in charge of a place shall, at the request of the Minister, provide that place to the Minister if, in the opinion of the Minister, the temporary use of the place as a quarantine facility is necessary to protect public health.
(2) The place is deemed to be designated as a quarantine facility.
(3) The Minister may compensate any person for the Minister’s use of the place.
(4) The Minister shall consult with the provincial public health authority of the province in which the place is situated before taking possession of it.
- Date modified: