6. (1) The President is the chief executive officer of the Commission.
(2) The President shall reside in the National Capital Region as described in the schedule to the National Capital Act or within the distance of it specified by the Governor in Council.
Marginal note:Acting President
(3) If the President is absent or unable to act or if the office of President is vacant, the minister designated under section 23 may authorize a Commissioner or other qualified person to act as President for a period not exceeding sixty days, and the Governor in Council may authorize a Commissioner or other qualified person to act as President for any longer period.
7. (1) A majority of the Commissioners constitutes a quorum of the Commission.
(2) A vacancy in the membership of the Commission does not impair the right of the remaining Commissioners to act.
Marginal note:Head office
Marginal note:Human resources
9. The Commission may appoint the persons necessary for the proper conduct of its work in the manner authorized by this Act.
Marginal note:Experts and advisers
10. (1) The Commission may retain on a temporary basis the services of experts or other persons having technical or special knowledge to assist it in an advisory capacity and, subject to the approval of the Treasury Board, fix their remuneration.
Marginal note:Application of Public Service Superannuation Act
(2) Persons whose services are retained under subsection (1) are not employed in the public service for the purposes of the Public Service Superannuation Act.
Mandate and Functions of Commission
11. The mandate of the Commission is
(a) to appoint, or provide for the appointment of, persons to or from within the public service in accordance with this Act;
(b) to conduct investigations and audits in accordance with this Act; and
(c) to administer the provisions of this Act relating to political activities of employees and deputy heads.
Marginal note:Functions assigned by Governor in Council
12. The Commission shall perform any functions in relation to the public service that are assigned to it by the Governor in Council.
- Date modified: