Marginal note:Rank and powers
39.1 (1) The Commissioner has the rank, and all the powers, of a deputy head of a department.
Marginal note:Restriction on other employment or activities
(2) The Commissioner shall not hold any other office or employment in the public sector or carry on any activity that is inconsistent with his or her powers and duties.
39.2 (1) The Commissioner is to be paid the remuneration determined by the Governor in Council.
(2) The Commissioner is entitled to be paid reasonable travel and other expenses incurred in the course of his or her duties while absent from his or her ordinary place of work if he or she has been appointed to serve on a full-time basis or his or her ordinary place of residence if he or she has been appointed to serve on a part-time basis.
Marginal note:Application of Public Service Superannuation Act
(3) The Commissioner is deemed to be employed in the public service for the purposes of the Public Service Superannuation Act.
Marginal note:Application of other Acts
(4) The Commissioner is deemed to be employed in the federal public administration for the purposes of the Government Employees Compensation Act and regulations made under section 9 of the Aeronautics Act.
39.3 (1) The Deputy Commissioner and the officers and employees that are necessary to enable the Commissioner to perform his or her duties and functions are to be appointed in accordance with the Public Service Employment Act.
Marginal note:Duties and powers of Deputy Commissioner
(1.1) The Deputy Commissioner exercises any of the powers and performs any of the duties and functions that the Commissioner may assign.
Marginal note:Scope of assigned duties and functions
(1.2) The assignment of powers, duties and functions by the Commissioner to the Deputy Commissioner may include the delegation to the Deputy Commissioner of any of the Commissioner’s powers, duties and functions, including those referred to in paragraphs 25(1)(a) to (k) and the powers in sections 36 and 37, but it may not include the delegation of the Commissioner’s power or any of his or her duties in section 38.
Marginal note:Technical assistance
(2) The Commissioner may engage on a temporary basis the services of persons having technical or specialized knowledge of any matter relating to the Commissioner’s work to advise and assist the Commissioner in the performance of his or her duties and functions and, with the approval of the Treasury Board, may fix and pay the remuneration and expenses of those persons.
- 2005, c. 46, s. 39.3;
- 2006, c. 9, s. 212.
- Date modified: