POWERS OF BOARD
Marginal note:Powers of Board
10. (1) Subject to the direction and control of the Minister, the Board may, for the purposes for which it is established,
(a) make, project, exhibit or distribute or cause to be made, projected, exhibited or distributed films in Canada or elsewhere on behalf of the Board or on behalf of other departments or persons;
(b) determine the manner in which moneys available to the Board for the production of a film may best be expended in the production thereof;
(c) acquire personal property and movable property in the name of the Board;
(d) enter into contracts in the name of the Board, including contracts for personal services;
(e) dispose of personal property and movable property held in the name of the Board or administered by the Board on behalf of Her Majesty, in processed form or otherwise, at the price and on the terms that the Board considers advisable;
(f) acquire in the name of the Board copyrights in any literary, musical or artistic works, plays, songs, recordings or films;
(g) acquire in the name of the Board and use any patent or patent rights, licences or concessions;
(h) make arrangements or agreements with any person or organization for the use of any rights, privileges or concessions; and
(i) do such other acts and things as are necessary for or incidental to the purposes for which the Board is established.
Marginal note:Legal proceedings
(2) Actions, suits or other legal proceedings in respect of any right or obligation acquired or incurred by the Board on behalf of Her Majesty, whether in its name or in the name of Her Majesty, may be brought or taken by or against the Board in the name of the Board in any court that would have jurisdiction if the Board were a corporation that is not an agent of Her Majesty.
- R.S., 1985, c. N-8, s. 10;
- 2001, c. 4, s. 107.
11. [Repealed, 1996, c. 16, s. 44]
Marginal note:Restriction on entry into contracts
12. Notwithstanding anything in this Act, the Board shall not, unless the approval of the Treasury Board has been obtained on the recommendation of the Minister, enter into a contract involving an estimated expenditure in excess of such amount as the Treasury Board may determine.
- R.S., c. N-7, s. 12;
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 47, s. 32;
- 1984, c. 40, s. 49.
Marginal note:Plan of organization
13. (1) The Board may, with the approval of the Treasury Board obtained on the recommendation of the Minister, formulate a plan of organization for the establishment and classification of the continuing positions necessary for the proper functioning of the Board and the establishment of rates of compensation for each class of position, having regard to the rates of compensation and conditions of employment for comparable positions outside the federal public administration and in other branches of the federal public administration.
Marginal note:Amendment of plan
(2) The Board may, with the approval of the Treasury Board obtained on the recommendation of the Minister, amend or vary a plan approved under subsection (1).
Marginal note:Appointment of employees
(3) Subject to the plan of organization approved under this section, the Board may appoint persons for a term or during pleasure to fill the positions established by the plan, prescribe their conditions of employment and provide for their promotion, salary and salary increases, but the provisions of the Public Service Employment Act relating to political activities and, where applicable, the condition of employment relating to payment of gratuity on death pursuant to the Financial Administration Act apply to the persons appointed under this section.
(4) [Repealed, 2002, c. 17, s. 21]
- R.S., 1985, c. N-8, s. 13;
- 2002, c. 17, s. 21;
- 2003, c. 22, ss. 175(E), 240.
- Date modified: