10. The Governor in Council may appoint and fix the remuneration of experts or persons having technical or special knowledge to assist the Board in any matter in an advisory capacity.
- R.S., c. N-6, s. 9.
Powers of the Board
Marginal note:Board a court
11. (1) The Board is a court of record.
Marginal note:Official Seal
(2) The Board shall have an official seal, which shall be judicially noticed.
Marginal note:Powers with respect to witnesses, etc.
(3) The Board has, with respect to the attendance, swearing and examination of witnesses, the production and inspection of documents, the enforcement of its orders, the entry on and inspection of property and other matters necessary or proper for the due exercise of its jurisdiction, all such powers, rights and privileges as are vested in a superior court of record.
Marginal note:Expeditious proceedings
(4) Subject to subsections 6(2.1) and (2.2), all applications and proceedings before the Board are to be dealt with as expeditiously as the circumstances and considerations of fairness permit, but, in any case, within the time limit provided for under this Act, if there is one.
- R.S., 1985, c. N-7, s. 11;
- 2012, c. 19, s. 74.
12. (1) The Board has full and exclusive jurisdiction to inquire into, hear and determine any matter
(a) where it appears to the Board that any person has failed to do any act, matter or thing required to be done by this Act or by any regulation, certificate, licence or permit, or any order or direction made by the Board, or that any person has done or is doing any act, matter or thing contrary to or in contravention of this Act, or any such regulation, certificate, licence, permit, order or direction; or
(b) where it appears to the Board that the circumstances may require the Board, in the public interest, to make any order or give any direction, leave, sanction or approval that by law it is authorized to make or give, or with respect to any matter, act or thing that by this Act or any such regulation, certificate, licence, permit, order or direction is prohibited, sanctioned or required to be done.
(1.1) The Board may inquire into any accident involving a pipeline or international power line or other facility the construction or operation of which is regulated by the Board and may, at the conclusion of the inquiry, make
(a) findings as to the cause of the accident or factors contributing to it;
(b) recommendations relating to the prevention of future similar accidents; or
(c) any decision or order that the Board can make.
Marginal note:Matters of law and fact
(2) For the purposes of this Act, the Board has full jurisdiction to hear and determine all matters, whether of law or of fact.
- R.S., 1985, c. N-7, s. 12;
- 1990, c. 7, s. 5.
- Date modified: