Marginal note:Settlement land or Tetlit Gwich’in Yukon land
97.1 Where an Arbitration Committee is appointed to determine a compensation matter involving land referred to in section 78.1, sections 3, 26 to 31, 36, 54 to 58, 63, 67 and 72 of the Yukon Surface Rights Board Act apply to the Arbitration Committee as if it were the Yukon Surface Rights Board.
- 1994, c. 43, s. 89.
Marginal note:Form of compensation payment where land taken
98. (1) Where an Arbitration Committee makes an award of compensation in favour of a person whose lands are taken by a company, the Committee shall direct, at the option of that person, that the compensation or such part of it as is specified by that person be made by one lump sum payment or by annual or periodic payments of equal or different amounts over a period of time.
Marginal note:Idem, in other cases
(2) Where an Arbitration Committee makes an award of compensation in favour of any person other than a person referred to in subsection (1), the Committee may direct, at the request of that person, that the compensation or such part of it as is specified by that person be made by annual or periodic payments of equal or different amounts over a period of time and that there be a periodic review of the compensation or part thereof.
Marginal note:Terms to be included in award
(3) Every award of compensation made by an Arbitration Committee in respect of lands acquired by a company shall include provision for those matters referred to in paragraphs 86(2)(b) to (f) that would be required to be included in a land acquisition agreement referred to in section 86.
Marginal note:Interest may be payable
(4) An Arbitration Committee may direct a company to pay interest on the amount of any compensation awarded by the Committee at the lowest rate of interest quoted by banks to the most credit-worthy borrowers for prime business loans, as determined and published by the Bank of Canada for the month in which
(a) the company entered the lands in respect of which the compensation is awarded, or
(b) the damages suffered as a result of the operations of the company first occurred,
as the case may be.
(5) Interest may be awarded under subsection (4) from the date the event referred to in paragraph (4)(a) or (b), as the case may be, occurred or from such later date as the Arbitration Committee may specify in its award.
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 80, s. 5.
99. (1) Where the amount of compensation awarded to a person by an Arbitration Committee exceeds eighty-five per cent of the amount of compensation offered by the company, the company shall pay all legal, appraisal and other costs determined by the Committee to have been reasonably incurred by that person in asserting that person’s claim for compensation.
(2) Where the amount of compensation awarded to a person by an Arbitration Committee does not exceed eighty-five per cent of the amount of compensation offered by the company, the legal, appraisal and other costs incurred by that person in asserting his claim for compensation are in the discretion of the Committee, and the Committee may direct that the whole or any part of those costs be paid by the company or by any other party to the proceedings.
- R.S., 1985, c. N-7, s. 99;
- 1990, c. 7, s. 25(F).
- Date modified: