Marginal note:Binding on Her Majesty
2.1 This Act is binding on Her Majesty in right of Canada or a province.
- 1990, c. 7, s. 2.
PART INATIONAL ENERGY BOARD
Establishment of the Board
Marginal note:Board established
3. (1) There is hereby established a Board, to be called the National Energy Board, consisting of not more than nine members to be appointed by the Governor in Council.
Marginal note:Tenure of members
(2) Subject to subsection (3), each member of the Board shall be appointed to hold office during good behaviour for a period of seven years, but may be removed at any time by the Governor in Council on address of the Senate and House of Commons.
Marginal note:Re-appointment and retirement
(3) A member appointed pursuant to subsection (2) is eligible to be re-appointed to hold office during good behaviour for any term of seven years or less and every member ceases to hold office on attaining the age of seventy years.
(4) A person is not eligible to be appointed or to continue as a member of the Board if that person is not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident within the meaning of subsection 2(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act or is, as owner, shareholder, director, officer, partner or otherwise, engaged in the business of producing, selling, buying, transmitting, exporting, importing or otherwise dealing in hydrocarbons or electricity or holds any bond, debenture or other security of a corporation engaged in any such business.
Marginal note:Residence and other employment
(5) Each member, other than a member appointed under subsection 4(1), shall, during his term of office,
(a) reside in, or within a reasonable commuting distance of, Calgary, Alberta or at such other place in Canada as the Governor in Council may approve; and
(b) devote the whole of his time to the performance of his duties under this Act, and shall not accept or hold any office or employment inconsistent with his duties and functions under this Act.
- R.S., 1985, c. N-7, s. 3;
- 1990, c. 7, s. 3;
- 1991, c. 27, s. 1;
- 2001, c. 27, s. 262.
Marginal note:Temporary members
4. (1) In addition to the number of members that may be appointed under subsection 3(1), the Governor in Council may, notwithstanding subsection 3(2), appoint temporary members of the Board on such terms and conditions as the Governor in Council may prescribe and any temporary member so appointed shall carry out such duties as may be assigned to that member by the Chairperson of the Board.
(2) [Repealed, 2012, c. 19, s. 70]
Marginal note:Temporary members, other employment
(3) A member appointed under subsection (1) shall not, during his term of office, accept or hold any office or employment inconsistent with the member’s duties under this Act.
- R.S., 1985, c. N-7, s. 4;
- 2012, c. 19, ss. 70, 99(E).
- Date modified: