Determination of Detailed Route and Approval
Marginal note:Notice to owners
34. (1) Where a company has prepared and submitted to the Board a plan, profile and book of reference pursuant to subsection 33(1), the company shall, in a manner and in a form to be determined by the Board,
(a) serve a notice on all owners of lands proposed to be acquired, in so far as they can be ascertained; and
(b) publish a notice in at least one issue of a publication, if any, in general circulation within the area in which the lands are situated.
Marginal note:Contents of notices
(2) The notices mentioned in subsection (1) shall describe the proposed detailed route of the pipeline, the location of the offices of the Board and the right of the owner and of persons referred to in subsection (4) to make, within the time referred to in subsection (3) or (4), as the case may be, representations to the Board respecting the detailed route of the pipeline.
Marginal note:Written statement of interest and grounds for opposition
(3) Where an owner of lands who has been served with a notice pursuant to subsection (1) wishes to oppose the proposed detailed route of a pipeline, the owner may, within thirty days of being served, file with the Board a written statement setting out the nature of the owner’s interest in the proposed detailed route and the grounds for his opposition to that route.
Marginal note:Opposition by persons adversely affected
(4) A person who anticipates that their lands may be adversely affected by the proposed detailed route of a pipeline, other than an owner of lands referred to in subsection (3), may oppose the proposed detailed route by filing with the Board within thirty days following the last publication of the notice referred to in subsection (1) a written statement setting out the nature of that person’s interest and the grounds for the opposition to the proposed detailed route of the pipeline.
- R.S., 1985, c. N-7, s. 34;
- 2004, c. 25, s. 148(E).
Marginal note:Public hearing
35. (1) Where a written statement is filed with the Board pursuant to subsection 34(3) or (4) within the time limited for doing so under that subsection, the Board shall forthwith order that a public hearing be conducted within the area in which the lands to which the statement relates are situated with respect to any grounds of opposition set out in any such statement.
Marginal note:Notice of public hearing
(2) The Board shall fix a suitable time and place for the public hearing referred to in subsection (1) and cause notice of the time and place so fixed to be given by publishing it in at least one issue of a publication, if any, in general circulation within the area in which the lands proposed to be acquired are situated and by sending it to each person who filed a written statement with the Board pursuant to subsection 34(3) or (4).
Marginal note:Opportunity to be heard
(3) At the time and place fixed for the public hearing pursuant to subsection (2), the Board shall hold a public hearing and shall permit each person who filed a written statement with the Board pursuant to subsection 34(3) or (4) to make representations and may allow any other interested person to make such representations before it as the Board deems proper.
Marginal note:Inspection of lands
(4) The Board or a person authorized by the Board may make such inspection of lands proposed to be acquired for or affected by the pipeline construction as the Board deems necessary.
Marginal note:Where written statements disregarded
(5) The Board is not required to give any notice, hold any hearing or take any other action pursuant to this section with respect to any written statement filed with the Board pursuant to subsection 34(3) or (4) and may at any time disregard any such written statement, if
(a) the person who filed the statement files a notice of withdrawal thereof with the Board; or
(b) it appears to the Board that the statement is frivolous or vexatious or is not made in good faith.
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 80, s. 2.
- Date modified: