PURPOSE OF ACT
Marginal note:Comprehensive, integrated and economically sound approach
3. The purpose of this Act is to provide a framework to enable the Governor in Council to make, from the proposals of the waste management organization, a decision on the management of nuclear fuel waste that is based on a comprehensive, integrated and economically sound approach for Canada.
APPLICATION OF ACT
Marginal note:Binding on Her Majesty
4. This Act is binding on Her Majesty in right of Canada or a province.
Marginal note:Application to nuclear energy corporations and AECL
5. This Act applies to a nuclear energy corporation and to Atomic Energy of Canada Limited only if it is the owner of nuclear fuel waste.
WASTE MANAGEMENT ORGANIZATION
Marginal note:Incorporation and purpose
6. (1) The nuclear energy corporations shall establish a corporation, in this Act referred to as the waste management organization, whose purpose under this Act is to do the following on a non-profit basis:
(a) propose to the Government of Canada approaches for the management of nuclear fuel waste; and
(b) implement the approach that is selected under section 15 or is approved under subsection 20(5).
Marginal note:Participation in waste management organization
(2) Once the waste management organization has been established, every nuclear energy corporation shall become and remain a member or shareholder of it.
Marginal note:Not an agent of Her Majesty
(3) For all purposes the waste management organization is not an agent of Her Majesty in right of Canada.
Marginal note:Duty toward other owners of nuclear fuel waste
7. The waste management organization shall offer, without discrimination and at a fee that is reasonable in relation to its costs of managing the nuclear fuel waste of its members or shareholders, to
(a) Atomic Energy of Canada Limited, and
(b) all owners of nuclear fuel waste produced in Canada that are neither members nor shareholders of the waste management organization
its nuclear fuel waste management services that are set out in the approach that the Governor in Council selects under section 15 or approves under subsection 20(5).
Marginal note:Advisory Council
8. (1) The waste management organization shall create an Advisory Council, which shall
(a) examine the study referred to in subsection 12(1) and the triennial reports referred to in section 18 that are to be submitted to the Minister; and
(b) give written comments on that study and those reports to the waste management organization.
Marginal note:Representation on Advisory Council
(2) The members of the Advisory Council shall be appointed by the governing body of the waste management organization. The governing body shall make all reasonable efforts to ensure that the Advisory Council’s membership
(a) reflects a broad range of scientific and technical disciplines related to the management of nuclear fuel waste;
(b) reflects expertise, in matters of nuclear energy,
(i) in public affairs, and
(ii) as needed, in other social sciences;
(b.1) reflects expertise in traditional aboriginal knowledge; and
(c) includes representatives nominated by local and regional governments and aboriginal organizations that are affected because their economic region is specified for the approach that the Governor in Council selects under section 15 or approves under subsection 20(5).
- Date modified: