Marginal note:Binding on Her Majesty
3. This Act is binding on Her Majesty.
- 1977-78, c. 20, s. 2.
4. The objects of this Act are
(a) to carry out and give effect to the Agreement;
(b) to carry out, through the Agency, federal responsibilities in relation to the pipeline;
(c) to facilitate the efficient and expeditious planning and construction of the pipeline taking into account local and regional interests, the interests of the residents, particularly the native people, and recognizing the responsibilities of the Government of Canada and other governments, as appropriate, to ensure that any native claim related to the land on which the pipeline is to be situated is dealt with in a just and equitable manner;
(d) to facilitate, in relation to the pipeline, consultation and coordination with the governments of the provinces, Yukon and the Northwest Territories;
(e) to maximize the social and economic benefits from the construction and operation of the pipeline including the maximizing of the opportunities for employment of Canadians while at the same time minimizing any adverse effect on the social and environmental conditions of the areas most directly affected by the pipeline; and
(f) to advance national economic and energy interests and to maximize related industrial benefits by ensuring the highest possible degree of Canadian participation in all aspects of the planning and construction of, and procurement for, the pipeline while ensuring that the procurement of goods and services for the pipeline will be on generally competitive terms.
- R.S., 1985, c. N-26, s. 4;
- 2002, c. 7, s. 213.
NORTHERN PIPELINE AGENCY
Establishment of Agency
Marginal note:Agency established
5. (1) There is hereby established an agency of the Government of Canada called the Northern Pipeline Agency over which the Minister shall preside.
(2) The Minister has the management and direction of the Agency.
- 1977-78, c. 20, s. 4.
6. (1) The Governor in Council may appoint an officer to be called the Commissioner of the Agency to be the deputy of the Minister and the Commissioner shall rank as and have all the powers of a deputy head of a department.
(2) The Governor in Council may, by order,
(a) appoint an officer to be called the Administrator of the Agency; or
(b) designate one of the members of the Board to be the Administrator of the Agency.
Marginal note:Duties of Administrator
(3) The Administrator shall, under the Commissioner, exercise and perform such of the powers, duties and functions of the Minister under this Act as the Minister may specify.
Marginal note:Deputy to the Administrator
(4) Where the Governor in Council does not designate a member of the Board to be the Administrator, he may, by order, designate one of the members of the Board to be a deputy to the Administrator.
Marginal note:Residence and other requirements removed
(5) Subsections 3(5) and 4(3) of the National Energy Board Act do not apply to the member of the Board designated as Administrator or as a deputy to the Administrator.
- 1977-78, c. 20, s. 5.
- Date modified: