Income Tax Act
Marginal note:Notice of suspension with assessment
188.2 (1) The Minister shall, with an assessment referred to in this subsection, give notice by registered mail to a registered charity or registered Canadian amateur athletic association that the authority of the charity or association to issue an official receipt referred to in Part XXXV of the Income Tax Regulations is suspended for one year from the day that is seven days after the day on which the notice is mailed, if the Minister has assessed the charity or association for a taxation year for
(a) a penalty under subsection 188.1(2);
(b) a penalty under paragraph 188.1(4)(b) in respect of an undue benefit, other than an undue benefit conferred by the charity or association by way of a gift; or
(c) a penalty under subsection 188.1(9) if the total of all such penalties for the taxation year exceeds $25,000.
Marginal note:Notice of suspension — general
(2) The Minister may give notice by registered mail to a person referred to in any of paragraphs (a) to (c) of the definition qualified donee in subsection 149.1(1) that the authority of the person to issue an official receipt referred to in Part XXXV of the Income Tax Regulations is suspended for one year from the day that is seven days after the day on which the notice is mailed
(a) if the person contravenes any of sections 230 to 231.5;
(b) if it may reasonably be considered that the person has acted, in concert with another person that is the subject of a suspension under this section, to accept a gift or transfer of property on behalf of that other person;
(c) in the case of a person referred to in paragraph (a) of the definition qualified donee in subsection 149.1(1), if the person has issued a receipt for a gift otherwise than in accordance with this Act and the regulations; or
(d) in the case of a person that is a registered charity or registered Canadian amateur athletic association, if an ineligible individual is a director, trustee, officer or like official of the person, or controls or manages the person, directly or indirectly, in any manner whatever.
Marginal note:Effect of suspension
(3) If the Minister has issued a notice to a qualified donee under subsection (1) or (2), subject to subsection (4),
(a) the qualified donee is deemed, in respect of gifts made and property transferred to the qualified donee within the one-year period that begins on the day that is seven days after the day on which the notice is mailed, not to be a qualified donee for the purposes of subsections 110.1(1) and 118.1(1) and Part XXXV of the Income Tax Regulations; and
(b) if the qualified donee is, during that period, offered a gift from any person, the qualified donee shall, before accepting the gift, inform that person that
Marginal note:Application for postponement
(4) If a notice of objection to a suspension under subsection (1) or (2) has been filed by a qualified donee, the qualified donee may file an application to the Tax Court of Canada for a postponement of that portion of the period of suspension that has not elapsed until the time determined by the Court.
Marginal note:Grounds for postponement
(5) The Tax Court of Canada may grant an application for postponement only if it would be just and equitable to do so.
- NOTE: Application provisions are not included in the consolidated text;
- see relevant amending Acts. 2005, c. 19, s. 44;
- 2011, c. 24, s. 60.
- Date modified: