Marginal note:Addition to stated capital account
760. On a conversion of any debt obligation of an insurance holding company into shares of a class or series of shares, the insurance holding company shall
(a) deduct from the liabilities of the insurance holding company the nominal value of the debt obligation being converted; and
(b) record the result obtained under paragraph (a) and any additional consideration received for the conversion in the stated capital account maintained or to be maintained for the class or series of shares into which the debt obligation has been converted.
- 1991, c. 47, s. 760;
- 2001, c. 9, s. 465.
Marginal note:Declaration of dividend
761. (1) The directors of an insurance holding company may declare and an insurance holding company may pay a dividend by issuing fully paid shares of the insurance holding company or options or rights to acquire fully paid shares of the insurance holding company and, subject to subsection (4), the directors of an insurance holding company may declare and an insurance holding company may pay a dividend in money or property, and, where a dividend is to be paid in money, the dividend may be paid in a currency other than the currency of Canada.
Marginal note:Notice to Superintendent
(2) The directors of an insurance holding company shall notify the Superintendent of the declaration of a dividend at least 15 days before the day fixed for its payment.
Marginal note:Share dividend
(3) If shares of an insurance holding company are issued in payment of a dividend, the insurance holding company shall record in the stated capital account maintained or to be maintained for the shares of the class or series issued in payment of the dividend the declared amount of the dividend stated as an amount of money.
Marginal note:When dividend not to be declared
(4) The directors of an insurance holding company shall not declare and an insurance holding company shall not pay a dividend if there are reasonable grounds for believing that the insurance holding company is, or the payment would cause the insurance holding company to be, in contravention of subsection 992(1), any regulation made under subsection 992(2) or any order made under subsection 992(3).
- 1991, c. 47, s. 761;
- 2001, c. 9, s. 465;
- 2007, c. 6, s. 318.
Marginal note:Restriction on subordinated indebtedness
762. (1) An insurance holding company shall not issue subordinated indebtedness unless the subordinated indebtedness is fully paid for in money or, with the approval of the Superintendent, in property.
Marginal note:References to subordinated indebtedness
(2) A person shall not in any prospectus, advertisement, correspondence or literature relating to any subordinated indebtedness issued or to be issued by an insurance holding company refer to the subordinated indebtedness otherwise than as subordinated indebtedness.
Marginal note:Other currencies
(3) When issuing subordinated indebtedness, an insurance holding company may provide that any aspect of the subordinated indebtedness relating to money or involving the payment of or the liability to pay money in relation thereto be in a currency other than that of Canada including, without restricting the generality of the foregoing, the payment of any interest thereon.
- 1991, c. 47, s. 762;
- 2001, c. 9, s. 465.
- Date modified: