429. [Repealed, 1994, c. 47, s. 125]
430. (1) [Repealed, 1994, c. 47, s. 126]
Marginal note:Suspension of voting rights held by governments
(2) Notwithstanding section 152, where any voting shares of a company are beneficially owned by
(a) Her Majesty in right of Canada or of a province or any agency of Her Majesty in either of those rights, or
(b) the government of a foreign country or any political subdivision thereof, or any agency thereof,
no person shall, in person or by proxy, exercise the voting rights attached to those shares.
(2.1) Subsection (2) does not apply to a foreign institution that is controlled by the government of a foreign country or any political subdivision of a foreign country, or by any agent or agency of a foreign government, if the shares referred to in subsection (2) are beneficially owned by the foreign institution or by an entity controlled by the foreign institution.
(3) Subsection (2) does not apply in respect of a government or agency referred to in that subsection that, on September 27, 1990, beneficially owned shares of a former-Act company where the exercise of the voting rights attached to those shares was not prohibited under subsection 36(2) of the Canadian and British Insurance Companies Act, as that subsection read immediately prior to June 1, 1992.
(4) Subsection (3) ceases to apply where a government or agency referred to in that subsection acquires beneficial ownership of any additional voting shares of the former-Act company in such number that the percentage of the voting rights attached to all of the voting shares of the former-Act company beneficially owned by the government or agency is greater than the percentage of the voting rights attached to all of the voting shares of the former-Act company that were beneficially owned by the government or agency on September 27, 1990.
Marginal note:Exception — eligible agent
(5) Subsection (2) does not apply in respect of the exercise of voting rights attached to any share referred to in subsection 428(3).
Marginal note:Consequence of suspension of approval
(6) If an approval referred to in subsection 428(3) is suspended, the eligible agent shall not exercise, in person or by proxy, any voting rights attached to any share of the company that is beneficially owned by the eligible agent.
- 1991, c. 47, s. 430;
- 1994, c. 47, s. 126;
- 2012, c. 5, s. 128, c. 19, s. 342, c. 31, s. 139.
431. and 431.1 [Repealed, 1994, c. 47, s. 127]
Marginal note:Disposition of shareholdings
432. (1) If, with respect to any company, a person contravenes subsection 407(1), (4), (9), (11) or (15) or section 407.03, 407.1 or 407.2 or fails to comply with an undertaking referred to in subsection 416(2) or with any term or condition imposed under section 421, the Minister may, if the Minister considers it in the public interest to do so, by order, direct that person and any person controlled by that person to dispose of any number of shares of the company beneficially owned by any of those persons that the Minister specifies in the order, within the time specified in the order and in the proportion, if any, as between the person and the persons controlled by that person that is specified in the order.
(2) No direction shall be made under subsection (1) unless the Minister has provided each person to whom the direction relates and the company concerned with a reasonable opportunity to make representations in respect of the subject-matter of the direction.
(3) Any person with respect to whom a direction has been made under subsection (1) may, within thirty days after the date of the direction, appeal the matter in accordance with section 1020.
(4) [Repealed, 2001, c. 9, s. 415]
- 1991, c. 47, s. 432;
- 1996, c. 6, s. 78;
- 2001, c. 9, s. 415;
- 2012, c. 19, s. 343(E).
- Date modified: