46. (1) On completion of its investigation under section 45, the Review Committee shall, not later than forty-five days after the matter is referred to it pursuant to paragraph 45(2)(b), provide the Commission, the minister referred to in subsection 45(2) and the complainant with a report containing the findings of the Committee.
Marginal note:Action on receipt of report
(2) After considering a report provided pursuant to subsection (1), the Commission
(a) may dismiss the complaint or, where it does not do so, shall proceed to deal with the complaint pursuant to this Part; and
(b) shall notify, in writing, the complainant and the person against whom the complaint was made of its action under paragraph (a) and may, in such manner as it sees fit, notify any other person whom it considers necessary to notify of that action.
- 1984, c. 21, s. 73.
Marginal note:Appointment of conciliator
47. (1) Subject to subsection (2), the Commission may, on the filing of a complaint, or if the complaint has not been
(a) settled in the course of investigation by an investigator,
(b) referred or dismissed under subsection 44(2) or (3) or paragraph 45(2)(a) or 46(2)(a), or
(c) settled after receipt by the parties of the notice referred to in subsection 44(4),
appoint a person, in this Part referred to as a “conciliator”, for the purpose of attempting to bring about a settlement of the complaint.
(2) A person is not eligible to act as a conciliator in respect of a complaint if that person has already acted as an investigator in respect of that complaint.
(3) Any information received by a conciliator in the course of attempting to reach a settlement of a complaint is confidential and may not be disclosed except with the consent of the person who gave the information.
- 1976-77, c. 33, s. 37;
- 1980-81-82-83, c. 143, s. 17(F);
- 1984, c. 21, s. 74.
Marginal note:Referral of a settlement to Commission
48. (1) When, at any stage after the filing of a complaint and before the commencement of a hearing before a Human Rights Tribunal in respect thereof, a settlement is agreed on by the parties, the terms of the settlement shall be referred to the Commission for approval or rejection.
(2) If the Commission approves or rejects the terms of a settlement referred to in subsection (1), it shall so certify and notify the parties.
Marginal note:Enforcement of settlement
(3) A settlement approved under this section may, for the purpose of enforcement, be made an order of the Federal Court on application to that Court by the Commission or a party to the settlement.
- R.S., 1985, c. H-6, s. 48;
- 1998, c. 9, s. 26.
- Date modified: