4. This Act applies to lighthouses that are the property of Her Majesty in right of Canada.
Marginal note:Binding on Her Majesty
5. This Act is binding on Her Majesty in right of Canada.
DESIGNATION OF HERITAGE LIGHTHOUSES
Marginal note:Designation by the Minister
6. (1) The Minister may, at any time, taking into account the established criteria, designate a lighthouse to be a heritage lighthouse for the purposes of this Act.
Marginal note:Inclusion of related structure
(2) The designation of a lighthouse may include any related building that the Minister considers should be included in the designation, taking into account the established criteria.
Definition of “petition”
7. (1) In this section, “petition” means a petition that a specified lighthouse be designated as a heritage lighthouse that is
(a) signed by at least 25 persons who are resident in Canada and are 18 years of age or older, and whose names and addresses appear in printed form on the petition; and
(b) received by the Minister within two years after the coming into force of this Act.
Marginal note:Consideration within five years
(2) Within five years after the coming into force of this Act, the Minister must, taking into account the established criteria,
(a) consider all lighthouses in respect of which the Minister receives a petition; and
(b) determine which of them should be designated as heritage lighthouses and whether any related buildings should be included in the designations, and make the appropriate designations.
Marginal note:Surplus lighthouses
8. (1) For two years beginning with the coming into force of this Act, every Minister of the Crown in right of Canada who has the administration of lighthouses must maintain and make available to the public a list of those lighthouses that he or she considers to be surplus to the operational requirements of the portion of the federal public administration for which he or she is responsible.
(2) A surplus lighthouse may only be designated as a heritage lighthouse if a person or body submits a written commitment to buy or otherwise acquire the lighthouse and to protect its heritage character in the event that it is designated as a heritage lighthouse.
Marginal note:Publication of list of lighthouses considered
9. Within 90 days after the expiration of the five-year period referred to in subsection 7(2), the Minister must publish, in the Canada Gazette, a list of all lighthouses that the Minister has considered for designation as heritage lighthouses under this Act, indicating, for each lighthouse, whether or not it has been designated as a heritage lighthouse.
- Date modified: