COMMUNITY EDUCATION AUTHORITY
22. (1) A participating First Nation may, on its own or jointly with other participating First Nations, establish a Community Education Authority to operate, administer and manage the education system of the participating First Nation on First Nation land in accordance with an individual agreement.
Marginal note:Powers, rights and duties
(2) A Community Education Authority has the powers, rights, privileges and benefits conferred on it by a participating First Nation and shall perform the duties — and be subject to the liabilities — imposed on it by a First Nation law in accordance with an individual agreement.
Marginal note:Indian Act
Marginal note:Participating First Nation not liable
24. (1) A participating First Nation is not liable in respect of anything done or omitted to be done by Her Majesty, or any person or body authorized by Her Majesty to act, in the exercise of their powers, duties and functions in relation to education.
Marginal note:Indemnification of participating First Nation
(2) Her Majesty shall indemnify a participating First Nation for any loss suffered by the participating First Nation as a result of an act or omission described in subsection (1).
Marginal note:Her Majesty not liable
(3) Her Majesty is not liable in respect of anything done or omitted to be done by a participating First Nation, or any person or body authorized by the participating First Nation to act, in the exercise of their powers, duties and functions in relation to education.
Marginal note:Indemnification of Her Majesty
(4) The participating First Nation shall indemnify Her Majesty for any loss suffered by Her Majesty as a result of an act or omission described in subsection (3).
MINISTER’S DUTIES AND POWERS
25. (1) The Minister may, in accordance with this Act, establish and maintain schools on First Nation land.
Marginal note:Deposit of copies
(2) The Minister shall cause a copy of each individual agreement and of any amendment made to the individual agreement, certified by the Minister to be a true copy, to be deposited in the library of the Department of Indian Affairs and Northern Development situated in the National Capital Region, as described in the schedule to the National Capital Act, and in any regional offices of that Department and other places that the Minister considers advisable.
Marginal note:Judicial notice of individual agreements
26. Judicial notice shall be taken of each individual agreement.
- Date modified: