FIRST NATIONS EDUCATION AUTHORITY
11. (1) There is hereby established in British Columbia the First Nations Education Authority, to be managed by a board of directors that consists of a minimum of six directors, including a President and a Vice-President.
Marginal note:Capacity, rights, powers and privileges
(2) The Authority has the capacity, rights, powers and privileges of a natural person, including the capacity
(a) to enter into contracts;
(b) to acquire, hold and dispose of property or an interest in property;
(c) to raise, invest or borrow money; and
(d) to sue and be sued in its own name.
Marginal note:Not agent of Her Majesty
12. The Authority is not an agent of Her Majesty.
Marginal note:Appointment of directors
13. (1) Each participating First Nation has the right to appoint two directors to the board of directors, at least one of whom shall be a member of the participating First Nation, for an initial term of two years. Directors may be reappointed, for a term fixed by the board, for second or subsequent terms.
Marginal note:Removal from office
(2) A director holds office at the pleasure of the participating First Nation that appointed them, but they may be removed by the board of directors at any time for cause or for a ground set out in the board’s rules.
Marginal note:Appointment of President and Vice-President
14. The board of directors shall appoint a President and a Vice-President, from among the directors, to hold office at the pleasure of the board for an initial term not exceeding two years, and they may be reappointed for terms of appointment to be established by the board.
Marginal note:Rules of procedure
15. The board of directors may make rules that are consistent with this Act for the purpose of carrying out the Authority’s work,
(a) specifying the grounds for the removal of directors in addition to those generally recognized by law;
(b) conducting and managing its internal administrative affairs; and
(c) specifying the duties of its officers, directors and employees and of persons retained by it.
Marginal note:Head office
16. The Authority’s head office shall be in British Columbia.
17. (1) The Authority may
(a) hire any persons that are necessary to conduct its work; and
(b) determine the duties of those persons and the conditions of their employment.
Marginal note:Salaries and benefits
(2) Persons hired under subsection (1) shall be paid the salary and benefits fixed by the Authority.
- Date modified: