Marginal note:Commencement of sentence
83. (1) Subject to subsection (3), the sentence or disposition of a person who has been temporarily surrendered and who has been convicted and sentenced, or found guilty and sentenced, in Canada, or in respect of whom a disposition has been made under the Young Offenders Act, chapter Y-1 of the Revised Statutes of Canada, 1985, does not commence until their final extradition to Canada.
Marginal note:Warrant of committal
(2) The warrant of committal issued under the Criminal Code in respect of the person must state that the person is to be committed to custody to serve the sentence or disposition immediately on their final extradition to Canada.
Marginal note:If concurrent sentences ordered
(3) The sentencing judge may order that the person’s sentence, or the disposition under the Young Offenders Act, chapter Y-1 of the Revised Statutes of Canada, 1985, be executed concurrently with the sentence they are serving in the requested State or entity, in which case the warrant of committal or order of disposition shall state that the person is to be committed to custody under subsection (2) only for any portion of the sentence or disposition remaining at the time of their final extradition to Canada.
- 1999, c. 18, s. 83;
- 2002, c. 1, s. 194.
PART 4TRANSITIONAL PROVISIONS, CONSEQUENTIAL AND RELATED AMENDMENTS AND REPEALS
Marginal note:Cases pending — former Extradition Act
84. The Extradition Act repealed by section 129 of this Act applies to a matter respecting the extradition of a person as though it had not been repealed, if the hearing in respect of the extradition had already begun on the day on which this Act comes into force.
Marginal note:Cases pending — Fugitive Offenders Act
85. The Fugitive Offenders Act repealed by section 130 of this Act applies to a matter respecting the return under that Act of a person as though it had not been repealed, if the hearing before the provincial court judge in respect of the return had already begun on the day on which this Act comes into force.
86. to 88. [Amendments]
89. to 128. [Amendments]
129. and 130. [Repeals]
- Date modified: