12. The Agency shall assist the Minister
(a) generally, in the exercise of powers and the performance of duties and functions under this Act and any other Act in respect of which powers, duties and functions are assigned to the Minister;
(b) in guiding, promoting and coordinating the policies and programs of the Government of Canada in relation to the development and diversification of the economy of the regions of Quebec;
(c) in leading and coordinating the activities of the Government of Canada in the establishment of cooperative relationships with Quebec and with business, labour and other public and private bodies in that province;
(d) by administering any agreements entered into under subsection 5(2);
(e) in the exercise of powers conferred on the Minister by section 7; and
(f) by compiling detailed information on all programs and projects undertaken, and services offered, by the Agency or the Minister for the purpose of measuring trends and progress in the development and diversification of the economy of the regions of Quebec.
Marginal note:Officers and employees
Marginal note:Head office
14. The head office of the Agency shall be in the Province of Quebec.
Marginal note:Contracts binding on Her Majesty
15. (1) Every contract, memorandum of understanding and arrangement entered into by the Agency in its own name is binding on Her Majesty in right of Canada to the same extent as it is binding on the Agency.
Marginal note:Legal proceedings
(2) Actions, suits or other legal proceedings in respect of any right or obligation acquired or incurred by the Agency, whether in its own name or in the name of Her Majesty, may be brought or taken by or against the Agency in the name of the Agency in any court that would have jurisdiction if the Agency were a corporation that is not an agent of Her Majesty.
16. (1) Subject to subsection (2), the Minister may make regulations
(a) specifying programs, projects and services in addition to those referred to in paragraph 11(1)(c) to improve the economic environment in Quebec;
(b) defining, for the purposes of this Act, “community”, “small- and medium-sized enterprises”, “project” and “demonstration projects”;
(c) specifying the class or classes of small- and medium-sized enterprises and of operations and activities eligible for support by the Agency under this Act; and
(d) generally for carrying out the purposes and provisions of this Act.
(2) The Minister may, with the approval of the Minister of Finance, make regulations
(a) relating to loans that may be made, guarantees that may be given and loan insurance and credit insurance that may be provided under this Act; and
(b) specifying the circumstances in which and the manner in which the Minister may acquire, exercise, assign or sell a stock option obtained as a condition under which a contribution or loan was made, a guarantee given or loan insurance or credit insurance provided under this Act.
Marginal note:Insurance a guarantee
(3) For greater certainty, loan insurance or credit insurance provided under this Act constitutes a guarantee for the purposes of the Financial Administration Act.
Marginal note:Designated area or community regulations
(4) In order to exploit the opportunities for improvements in employment identified in a designated area or with respect to a designated community, regulations specially applicable to that area or community may be made under the authority of this section that vary from regulations of general application to Quebec.
- Date modified: