Marginal note:Calling in of coins
9. (1) The Governor in Council may, by order, call in coins of any date and denomination.
Marginal note:Effect of call in
(2) A coin that has been called in is not current.
- R.S., 1985, c. C-52, s. 9;
- R.S., 1985, c. 35 (3rd Supp.), s. 19;
- 1999, c. 4, s. 13(F);
- 2012, c. 19, s. 389.
Marginal note:Redemption of coins
9.01 (1) The Governor in Council may make regulations for the redemption by the Minister of coins of the currency of Canada that are or that have at any time been current in Canada.
Marginal note:Payments for redemption of coins
(2) Payments for the redemption of coins, including related costs, shall be made out of the Consolidated Revenue Fund on the authorization of the Minister.
- 2012, c. 19, s. 389.
Marginal note:Amounts received from issue of coins
9.1 All amounts received from the issue of coins of the currency of Canada must be paid into the Consolidated Revenue Fund.
- R.S., 1985, c. 35 (3rd Supp.), s. 20;
- 1999, c. 4, s. 14.
Marginal note:Defacement of counterfeit coins
10. Every officer employed in the collection of the revenue in Canada shall cause to be cut, broken or defaced every counterfeit coin that is paid to the officer in payment of an amount payable to Her Majesty, and shall forthwith forward the counterfeit coin to the Minister.
- R.S., c. C-39, s. 9.
Marginal note:Melting down coins
11. (1) No person shall, except in accordance with a licence granted by the Minister, melt down, break up or use otherwise than as currency any coin that is current and legal tender in Canada.
Marginal note:Offence and punishment
(2) Every person who contravenes subsection (1) or any condition attached to a licence referred to in that subsection is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding two hundred and fifty dollars or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding twelve months or to both, and, in addition to any fine or imprisonment imposed, the court may order that the articles by means of or in relation to which the offence was committed be forfeited to Her Majesty.
- R.S., c. C-39, s. 10.
Accounts, Contracts and other Matters Relating to Money
Marginal note:Public accounts and statements
12. All public accounts established or maintained in Canada shall be in the currency of Canada, and any reference to money or monetary value in any indictment or other legal proceedings shall be stated in the currency of Canada.
- R.S., c. C-39, s. 11.
- Date modified: