Marginal note:Decision of the Minister
131. (1) After the expiration of the thirty days referred to in subsection 130(2), the Minister shall, as soon as is reasonably possible having regard to the circumstances, consider and weigh the circumstances of the case and decide
(a) in the case of goods or a conveyance seized or with respect to which a notice was served under section 124 on the ground that this Act or the regulations were contravened in respect of the goods or the conveyance, whether the Act or the regulations were so contravened;
(b) in the case of a conveyance seized or in respect of which a notice was served under section 124 on the ground that it was made use of in respect of goods in respect of which this Act or the regulations were contravened, whether the conveyance was made use of in that way and whether the Act or the regulations were so contravened; or
(c) in the case of a penalty assessed under section 109.3 against a person for failure to comply with subsection 109.1(1) or (2) or a provision that is designated under subsection 109.1(3), whether the person so failed to comply.
(d) [Repealed, 2001, c. 25, s. 72]
(1.1) A person on whom a notice is served under section 130 may notify the Minister, in writing, that the person will not be furnishing evidence under that section and authorize the Minister to make a decision without delay in the matter.
Marginal note:Notice of decision
(2) The Minister shall, forthwith on making a decision under subsection (1), serve on the person who requested the decision a detailed written notice of the decision.
Marginal note:Judicial review
(3) The Minister’s decision under subsection (1) is not subject to review or to be restrained, prohibited, removed, set aside or otherwise dealt with except to the extent and in the manner provided by subsection 135(1).
- R.S., 1985, c. 1 (2nd Supp.), s. 131;
- 1993, c. 25, s. 84;
- 2001, c. 25, s. 72.
Marginal note:Where there is no contravention
132. (1) Subject to this or any other Act of Parliament,
(a) where the Minister decides, under paragraph 131(1)(a) or (b), that there has been no contravention of this Act or the regulations in respect of the goods or conveyance referred to in that paragraph, or, under paragraph 131(1)(b), that the conveyance referred to in that paragraph was not used in the manner described in that paragraph, the Minister shall forthwith authorize the removal from custody of the goods or conveyance or the return of any money or security taken in respect of the goods or conveyance; and
(b) where, as a result of a decision made by the Minister under paragraph 131(1)(c), the Minister decides that a penalty that was assessed under section 109.3 is not justified by the facts or the law, the Minister shall forthwith cancel the assessment of the penalty and authorize the return of any money paid on account of the penalty and any interest that was paid under section 109.5 in respect of the penalty.
Marginal note:Interest on money returned
(2) Where any money is authorized under subsection (1) to be returned to any person, there shall be paid to that person, in addition to the money returned, interest on the money at the prescribed rate for the period beginning on the day after the day the money was paid and ending on the day the money is returned.
(3) [Repealed, 1992, c. 28, s. 26]
- R.S., 1985, c. 1 (2nd Supp.), s. 132;
- 1992, c. 28, s. 26;
- 1993, c. 25, s. 85;
- 2001, c. 25, s. 73.
- Date modified: