Marginal note:Legal capacity of bands
22. (1) A band has, subject to this Act and the regulations, the capacity, rights, powers and privileges of a natural person.
Marginal note:Restriction on band’s commercial activities
(2) A band shall not engage, directly or indirectly, in any commercial activity, except in so far as it is related to
(a) the management or administration of
(i) its Category IA or IA-N land or the natural resources thereof, or
(ii) its buildings or other immovable assets on its Category IA or IA-N land; or
(b) the provision of public services to or in respect of its Category IA or IA-N land or residents thereof.
Marginal note:Band may own shares in corporations
(3) Notwithstanding subsection (2), a band may own shares in corporations that carry on commercial activities.
Marginal note:Band may not be continued under Canada Business Corporations Act
Marginal note:Acts not applicable to a band
Marginal note:Application of certain other Acts
(3) Where provisions of an Act of Parliament specifically applicable to corporations, other than the Acts mentioned in subsections (1) and (2), would apply to a band, the Governor in Council may by order declare that such Act or any provision thereof does not apply to a band.
- 1984, c. 18, s. 23;
- 2009, c. 23, s. 322.
Head Office of Band
Marginal note:Head office of band
24. The head office of a band shall be located at such place on its Category IA or IA-N land as is fixed by the band.
Marginal note:Band council
25. The council of a band is a continuing body consisting of the council members holding office pursuant to Part II.
Marginal note:Band acts through its council
26. A band shall act through its council in exercising its powers and carrying out its duties under this Act.
Marginal note:Resolutions and by-laws
27. A council shall act by resolution, except where required to act by by-law.
- Date modified: