Marginal note:Delegation of authority
23. Anything that is required to be done or that may be done by the Minister under this Act or the regulations may be done on behalf of the Minister by any person authorized by the Minister in writing to act on his behalf without proof of the authenticity of the authorization.
- 1974-75-76, c. 108, s. 21.
Marginal note:Requirement to take oath of citizenship
24. Where a person is required under this Act to take the oath of citizenship, the person shall swear or affirm in the form set out in the schedule and in accordance with the regulations.
- 1974-75-76, c. 108, s. 23.
Marginal note:Evidence of declarations
25. (1) Any declaration made under this Act or prior legislation or any regulations made thereunder may be proved in any legal proceeding by the production of the original declaration or of any copy thereof certified to be a true copy by the Minister, and the production of the declaration or copy is conclusive evidence of the contents thereof and of the person named therein as declarant having made the declaration at the date therein mentioned.
Marginal note:Evidence of certificates
(2) A certificate of citizenship, a certificate of naturalization or a certificate of renunciation may be proved in any legal proceeding by the production of the original certificate or of a document that is certified by the Minister as bearing the same information as the original certificate.
- 1974-75-76, c. 108, s. 24.
Marginal note:Citizenship judges
26. (1) The Governor in Council may appoint any citizen to be a citizenship judge.
(2) In addition to his other duties set out in this Act, a citizenship judge shall perform such other duties as the Minister prescribes for carrying into effect the purposes and provisions of this Act.
- 1974-75-76, c. 108, s. 25.
27. The Governor in Council may make regulations
(a) prescribing the manner in which and the place at which applications are to be made and notices are to be given under this Act and the evidence that is to be provided with respect to those applications and notices;
(b) fixing fees for
(i) the making of any application under this Act,
(ii) the issuing of any certificate under this Act,
(iii) [Repealed, 2008, c. 14, s. 12]
(iv) the provision of any certified or uncertified copy of a document from the records kept in the course of the administration of this Act or prior legislation,
(v) the administration of any oath, solemn affirmation or declaration filed, made, issued, delivered or administered pursuant to this Act or the regulations, or
(vi) any search of the records referred to in subparagraph (iv);
(c) providing for the remission of fees referred to in paragraph (b);
(d) providing for various criteria that may be applied to determine whether a person
(i) has an adequate knowledge of one of the official languages of Canada, or
(ii) has an adequate knowledge of Canada and of the responsibilities and privileges of citizenship;
(iii) [Repealed, 2008, c. 14, s. 12]
(d.1) providing for the factors to be considered in determining whether the requirements set out in section 5.1 are met;
(d.2) providing for the circumstances in which the Minister shall determine that any of the requirements of subsections 5.1(1) and (2) are met;
(d.3) providing for the circumstances in which a review of an application under section 5.1 is suspended;
(e) prescribing the procedures to be followed in the referral of applications to citizenship judges;
(f) prescribing the procedures to be followed by citizenship judges in the performance of their duties;
(g) prescribing the ceremonial procedures to be followed by citizenship judges;
(h) respecting the taking of the oath of citizenship;
(i) providing for the number of copies of any certificate, declaration or other document made or issued under this Act or prior legislation or any regulations made thereunder that any person is entitled to have;
(j) providing for the surrender and retention of certificates of citizenship, certificates of naturalization or certificates of renunciation issued or granted under this Act or prior legislation or any regulations made thereunder if there is reason to believe that the holder thereof may not be entitled thereto or has contravened any of the provisions of this Act;
(j.1) providing for the renunciation of citizenship by persons who are citizens under paragraph 3(1)(f) or (g);
(k) providing for the surrender and cancellation of certificates referred to in paragraph (j) where the holder thereof has ceased to be entitled thereto; and
(l) generally, to carry out the purposes and provisions of this Act.
- R.S., 1985, c. C-29, s. 27;
- 2007, c. 24, s. 3;
- 2008, c. 14, s. 12.
- Date modified: