Marginal note:Title to property
27. Property acquired by the CIHR is property of Her Majesty in right of Canada and title to it may be held in the name of Her Majesty or in the name of the CIHR.
Marginal note:Choice of service providers
28. (1) Notwithstanding section 9 of the Department of Public Works and Government Services Act, the CIHR may procure goods and services from outside the federal public administration.
Marginal note:Legal services
(2) The CIHR may procure legal services from outside the federal public administration only with the approval of the Attorney General of Canada or the Governor in Council.
- 2000, c. 6, s. 28;
- 2003, c. 22, s. 224(E).
Marginal note:Expending money
29. For the purpose of achieving its objective, the CIHR may expend
(a) any money it receives by way of gift or bequest; and
(b) with the approval of Treasury Board, any money it receives through conducting its operations.
Marginal note:Legal proceedings
30. Actions, suits or other legal proceedings in respect of any right or obligation acquired or incurred by the CIHR, whether in its own name or in the name of Her Majesty in right of Canada, may be brought or taken by or against the CIHR in the name of the CIHR in any court that would have jurisdiction if the CIHR were not an agent of Her Majesty.
31. [Repealed, 2012, c. 19, s. 191]
Marginal note:Annual report
32. (1) The Governing Council shall, within four months after the end of each fiscal year, submit to the Minister a report on the operations and activities of the CIHR in that fiscal year and its strategic directions and goals, and shall include the CIHR’s financial statements.
Marginal note:Tabling in Parliament
(2) The Minister shall cause a copy of the report to be laid before each House of Parliament on any of the first 15 days on which that House is sitting after the Minister receives it.
- 2000, c. 6, s. 32;
- 2012, c. 19, s. 192.
Marginal note:Deemed appropriation
Footnote *33. (1) Any amount that is appropriated for the Medical Research Council for the fiscal year in which section 51 comes into force and that is unexpended on the day that Act is repealed is deemed, as of that day, to be appropriated for the CIHR.
Return to footnote *[Note: Section 51 in force May 31, 2001, see SI/2001-66.]
Marginal note:Unexpended appropriations for Medical Research Council
Footnote *(2) If, in any fiscal year, any provision of sections 1 to 50 comes into force before section 51 comes into force, the Minister may, with the approval of the Treasury Board, allocate to the CIHR the portion of the appropriation for the Medical Research Council for that year that the Minister considers appropriate.
Return to footnote *[Note: Act, except sections 40, 41, 43, 45, 47, 49 and 51, in force June 7, 2000, see SI/2000-46; sections 40, 41, 43, 45, 47, 49 and 51 in force May 31, 2001, see SI/2001-66.]
- Date modified: