Rates and Conditions of Service
Marginal note:Commercially fair and reasonable
112. A rate or condition of service established by the Agency under this Division must be commercially fair and reasonable to all parties.
Level of Services
Marginal note:Accommodation for traffic
113. (1) A railway company shall, according to its powers, in respect of a railway owned or operated by it,
(a) furnish, at the point of origin, at the point of junction of the railway with another railway, and at all points of stopping established for that purpose, adequate and suitable accommodation for the receiving and loading of all traffic offered for carriage on the railway;
(b) furnish adequate and suitable accommodation for the carriage, unloading and delivering of the traffic;
(c) without delay, and with due care and diligence, receive, carry and deliver the traffic;
(d) furnish and use all proper appliances, accommodation and means necessary for receiving, loading, carrying, unloading and delivering the traffic; and
(e) furnish any other service incidental to transportation that is customary or usual in connection with the business of a railway company.
Marginal note:Carriage on payment of rates
(2) Traffic must be taken, carried to and from, and delivered at the points referred to in paragraph (1)(a) on the payment of the lawfully payable rate.
Marginal note:Compensation for provision of rolling stock
(3) Where a shipper provides rolling stock for the carriage by the railway company of the shipper’s traffic, the company shall, at the request of the shipper, establish specific reasonable compensation to the shipper in a tariff for the provision of the rolling stock.
Marginal note:Confidential contract between company and shipper
(4) A shipper and a railway company may, by means of a confidential contract or other written agreement, agree on the manner in which the obligations under this section are to be fulfilled by the company.
Marginal note:Facilities for traffic
114. (1) A railway company shall, according to its powers, afford to all persons and other companies all adequate and suitable accommodation for receiving, carrying and delivering traffic on and from its railway, for the transfer of traffic between its railway and other railways and for the return of rolling stock.
Marginal note:Through traffic
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1), adequate and suitable accommodation includes reasonable facilities for the receiving, carriage and delivery by the company
(a) at the request of any other company, of through traffic and, in the case of goods shipped by carload, of the car with the goods shipped in it, to and from the railway of the other company, at a through rate; and
(b) at the request of any person interested in through traffic, of such traffic at through rates.
Marginal note:Connecting railway to reasonable facilities
(3) Every railway company that has or operates a railway forming part of a continuous line of railway with or that intersects any other railway, or that has any terminus, station or wharf near to any terminus, station or wharf of another railway, shall afford all reasonable facilities for delivering to that other railway, or for receiving from or carrying by its railway, all the traffic arriving by that other railway without any unreasonable delay, so that
(a) no obstruction is offered to the public desirous of using those railways as a continuous line of communication; and
(b) all reasonable accommodation, by means of the railways of those companies, is at all times afforded to the public for that purpose.
Marginal note:Similar facilities for truckers
(4) If a railway company provides facilities for the transportation by rail of motor vehicles or trailers operated by any company under its control for the conveyance of goods for hire or reward,
(a) the railway company shall offer to all companies operating motor vehicles or trailers for the conveyance of goods for hire or reward similar facilities at the same rates and on the same terms and conditions as those applicable to the motor vehicles or trailers operated by the company under its control; and
(b) the Agency may disallow any rate or tariff that is not in compliance with this subsection and direct the company to substitute a rate or tariff that complies with this subsection.
- Date modified: