Marginal note:Application of this Part
8. This Part applies in respect of Canadian vessels everywhere and in respect of foreign vessels in Canadian waters, but regulations made under paragraph 35(1)(d) in respect of pollution apply, if they so state, in respect of foreign vessels in waters in the exclusive economic zone of Canada.
Marginal note:Role of Minister of Transport
9. Except as otherwise provided in this Act, the Minister of Transport is responsible for the administration of this Act.
Powers of Ministers
10. (1) The Minister of Transport or the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans may, with respect to that Minister’s responsibilities under this Act,
(a) establish consultative bodies;
(b) issue bulletins, guidelines and standards; and
(c) enter into agreements or arrangements respecting the administration or enforcement of any provision of this Act or the regulations and authorize any person or organization with whom an agreement or arrangement is entered into to exercise the powers or perform the duties under this Act that are specified in the agreement or arrangement.
Marginal note:Exemption power of Ministers
(2) The Minister of Transport or the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans may, with respect to that Minister’s responsibilities under this Act, exempt for a specified period any authorized representative, master, vessel, class of vessels, operator of an oil handling facility, oil handling facility or class of oil handling facility from the application of any provision of this Act or the regulations, subject to any conditions that that Minister considers appropriate, if that Minister is of the opinion that the exemption is in the interest of preventing damage to property or the environment or is in the interest of public health or safety.
(3) Subject to any conditions that the Minister of Transport considers appropriate, the Minister may exempt for a specified period any vessel, or class of vessels, that is en route through Canadian waters but is not en route to or departing from a port in Canada, from the application of any provision of Part 3 (Personnel), 4 (Safety) or 9 (Pollution Prevention — Department of Transport) if the Minister is of the opinion that the provision is substantially similar to a provision of the laws of another state to which the vessel or class of vessels is subject.
(4) Notice of every exemption granted under subsection (2) or (3) must be published in the Canada Gazette.
(5) The Minister of Transport or the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans may authorize any person employed in the federal public administration or any police officer, police constable, constable or other person employed for the preservation and maintenance of the public peace, or any class of any of those persons, that that Minister considers proper to exercise any of the powers and perform any of the duties and functions that may be or are required to be exercised or performed by that Minister under this Act.
- 2001, c. 26, s. 10;
- 2003, c. 22, s. 224(E).
- Date modified: