Marginal note:Suspension of voting rights held by governments
914. (1) Despite section 737, no person shall, in person or by proxy, exercise any voting rights attached to any share of a bank holding company that is beneficially owned by
(a) Her Majesty in right of Canada or of a province or any agency of Her Majesty in either of those rights; or
(b) the government of a foreign country or any political subdivision thereof, or any agency thereof.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to a foreign bank, or to a foreign institution, that is controlled by the government of a foreign country or any political subdivision of a foreign country, or by any agent or agency of a foreign government, if the share referred to in subsection (1) is beneficially owned by the foreign bank or foreign institution or by an entity controlled by the foreign bank or foreign institution.
Marginal note:Exception — eligible agent
(3) Subsection (1) does not apply in respect of the exercise of voting rights attached to any share referred to in subsection 913(3).
Marginal note:Consequence of suspension of approval
(4) If an approval referred to in subsection 913(3) is suspended, the eligible agent shall not exercise, in person or by proxy, any voting rights attached to any share of the bank holding company that is beneficially owned by the eligible agent.
- 2001, c. 9, s. 183;
- 2012, c. 5, s. 100, c. 19, s. 338, c. 31, s. 127.
Marginal note:Disposition of shareholdings
915. (1) If, with respect to any bank holding company, a person contravenes section 874 or subsection 875(1), 876(1) or 878(1) or section 880 or 881 or subsection 882(1) or section 883 or fails to comply with an undertaking referred to in subsection 899(2) or with any terms and conditions imposed under section 907, the Minister may, if the Minister deems it in the public interest to do so, by order, direct that person and any person controlled by that person to dispose of any number of shares of the bank holding company beneficially owned by any of those persons that the Minister specifies in the order, within the time specified in the order and in the proportion, if any, as between the person and the persons controlled by that person that is specified in the order.
(2) No direction shall be made under subsection (1) unless the Minister has provided each person to whom the direction relates and the bank holding company concerned with a reasonable opportunity to make representations in respect of the subject-matter of the direction.
- 2001, c. 9, s. 183.
916. Any person with respect to whom a direction has been made under subsection 915(1) may, within thirty days after the date of the direction, appeal the matter in accordance with section 977.
- 2001, c. 9, s. 183;
- 2012, c. 31, s. 128(F).
- Date modified: