Assented to 2012-03-29
An Act to amend the law governing financial institutions and to provide for related and consequential matters
This enactment amends a number of Acts governing financial institutions. It also amends legislation related to the regulation of financial institutions. Notable among the amendments are the following:
(a) amendments to the Bank Act, the Cooperative Credit Associations Act, the Insurance Companies Act and the Trust and Loan Companies Act aimed at reinforcing stability and fine-tuning the consumer-protection framework; and
(b) technical amendments to the Bank Act, the Cooperative Credit Associations Act, the Insurance Companies Act, the Trust and Loan Companies Act, the Bank of Canada Act, the Canada Deposit Insurance Corporation Act, the Canadian Payments Act, the Winding-up and Restructuring Act, the Office of the Superintendent of Financial Institutions Act, the Payment Clearing and Settlement Act and the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada Act.
Her Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Senate and House of Commons of Canada, enacts as follows:
Marginal note:Short title
1. This Act may be cited as the Financial System Review Act.
PART 11991, c. 46BANK ACT
Marginal note:2001, c. 9, s. 35(7)
« disposition visant les consommateurs »
“consumer provision” means a provision referred to in paragraph (a) or (a.1) of the definition “consumer provision” in section 2 of the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada Act;
Marginal note:2001, c. 9, s. 35(5)
(2) The portion of the definition banque étrangère in section 2 of the French version of the Act after paragraph (g) is replaced by the following:
Sont exclues de la présente définition les filiales des banques figurant à l’annexe I dans sa version antérieure à l’entrée en vigueur de l’article 184 de la Loi sur l’Agence de la consommation en matière financière du Canada, sauf si le ministre prend la décision d’exclure une ou plusieurs de ces banques de l’application du paragraphe 378(1).
Marginal note:2007, c. 6, s. 4
3. Section 21 of the Act is replaced by the following:
Marginal note:Sunset provision
21. (1) Subject to subsections (2) and (4), banks shall not carry on business, and authorized foreign banks shall not carry on business in Canada, after the day that is the fifth anniversary of the day on which this section comes into force.
(2) The Governor in Council may, by order, extend by up to six months the time during which banks may continue to carry on business and authorized foreign banks may continue to carry on business in Canada. No more than one order may be made under this subsection.
Marginal note:Order not a regulation
(4) If Parliament dissolves on the fifth anniversary of the day on which this section comes into force, on any day within the six-month period before that anniversary or on any day within an extension under subsection (2), banks may continue to carry on business, and authorized foreign banks may continue to carry on business in Canada, until the end of 180 days after the first day of the first session of the next Parliament.
- Date modified: