104. Subsection 17.1(3) of the Act is replaced by the following:
Marginal note:Compensation for cost of remedial or preventive action
(3) A court shall not, under paragraph 16(1)(d), order an offender to compensate a person for the cost of any remedial or preventive action referred to in that paragraph if the person is entitled to make a claim for compensation for that cost under the Marine Liability Act or the Arctic Waters Pollution Prevention Act.
Marginal note:Compensation for loss or damage — property
(4) A court shall not, under subsection 16(2), order an offender to pay to a person compensation for loss of or damage to property if the person is entitled to make a claim for compensation for that loss or damage under the Marine Liability Act or the Arctic Waters Pollution Prevention Act.
105. Section 18 of the Act is replaced by the following:
Marginal note:Limitation period
18. No proceedings by way of summary conviction in respect of an offence under this Act may be instituted more than five years after the day on which the subject matter of the proceedings arose, unless the prosecutor and the defendant agree that they may be instituted after the five years.
106. The Act is amended by adding the following after section 18.2:
Marginal note:Publication of information about contraventions
18.21 (1) For the purpose of encouraging compliance with this Act and the regulations, the Minister shall maintain, in a registry accessible to the public, information about all convictions of corporations for offences under this Act.
(2) Information in the registry is to be maintained for a minimum of five years.
Marginal note:Minister may refuse or suspend permit
18.22 The Minister may refuse to issue a permit under this Act, or may cancel such a permit, if the applicant or the holder has been convicted of an offence under this Act.
Marginal note:Contraventions Act
18.23 If an offence under this Act is designated as a contravention under the Contraventions Act, subsection 8(5) of that Act does not apply in respect of the fine that may be established for that contravention.
18.24 (1) The Minister shall, 10 years after the day on which this section comes into force and every 10 years after that, undertake a review of sections 13 to 18.23.
Marginal note:Report to Parliament
(2) The Minister shall, no later than one year after the day on which the review is undertaken, cause a report on the review to be tabled in each House of Parliament.
- Date modified: