27. Paragraph 191(a) of the Act is replaced by the following:
(a) that became the property of a band by virtue of section 13, 13.1 or 15 and had been purchased with money appropriated by Parliament,
28. Section 194 of the Act is replaced by the following:
Marginal note:Policing jurisdiction (Crees)
194. If the Cree Regional Authority establishes a regional police force under section 102.1 of the Police Act, R.S.Q., c. P-13.1, as it read on the day on which this section comes into force, that police force is recognized as having jurisdiction over the territory described in section 102.6 of that Act as it read on that day, including Category IA land, for the purpose of enforcing any by-law of a Cree band or the Cree Regional Authority, or any law of Canada or Quebec that is applicable within that territory.
29. Section 196 of the Act is amended by adding the following after subsection (1):
Marginal note:Cree bands
(1.1) Despite subsection (1), in the case of a Cree band, the band shall obtain the approval of the Cree Regional Authority before it enters into an agreement with a body referred to in any of paragraphs (1)(a) and (c) to (e).
30. Section 197 of the Act is replaced by the following:
Marginal note:Offences under Act
197. Every person who commits an offence under subsection 38(6), section 44, subsection 91(2) or (2.1), section 95, subsection 100(4) or section 108 is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding $2,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to both.
31. Subsections 199(1) and (2) of the Act are replaced by the following:
Marginal note:Contravention of by-law
199. (1) Every person who contravenes a by-law made under this Act is guilty of an offence and is liable on summary conviction to the punishment set out in the by-law.
Marginal note:By-law may fix maximum punishment
(2) A by-law made under this Act may stipulate a maximum fine or a maximum term of imprisonment, or both, for contravention of the by-law, but the maximum fine or maximum term of imprisonment may not exceed $2,000 or six months, respectively.
32. The Minister of Indian Affairs and Northern Development shall publish, in the Canada Gazette, a notice of the date that any land is set aside by the Governor in Council as Category IA land for the exclusive use and benefit of the collectivity known as the Crees of Oujé-Bougoumou, as soon as feasible after that land is set aside.
- Date modified: