175. Section 25 of the Act is replaced by the following:
176. Subsections 28(2) to (4) of the Act are replaced by the following:
Marginal note:Assistant returning officer to act
(3) Subject to subsection 24(1.5), if a returning officer is absent or unable to act or if a returning officer’s office is vacant, the assistant returning officer shall act in place of the returning officer.
Marginal note:Designated person to act
(3.1) If a returning officer and an assistant returning officer are both absent or unable to act or if both their offices are vacant during an election period, the Chief Electoral Officer shall designate a person to act in place of the returning officer, and that person may, during and after that period, perform the duties of a returning officer in relation to that election.
Marginal note:Appointment within limited period
(4) When the office of a returning officer becomes vacant, the Chief Electoral Officer shall appoint a new returning officer without delay.
177. Section 536 of the Act is replaced by the following:
Marginal note:Report on returning officer qualifications
535.2 Whenever the Chief Electoral Officer, pursuant to subsection 24(1.1), prescribes the qualifications for the appointment of persons as returning officers or establishes a process for their appointment or a procedure for their removal — or modifies those qualifications, that process or that procedure in a significant manner — the Chief Electoral Officer shall report accordingly to the Speaker of the House of Commons without delay.
Marginal note:Submission of report to House of Commons
536. The Speaker of the House of Commons shall submit a report received by him or her from the Chief Electoral Officer under section 534, 535 or 535.2 to the House of Commons without delay.
Marginal note:Incumbent returning officers
178. (1) The term of office of a returning officer who holds office immediately before the day on which this section comes into force expires on that day.
Marginal note:No right to compensation
(2) No person has any right or claim to receive compensation, damages, indemnity or any other form of relief from Her Majesty in right of Canada, or from any servant or agent of Her Majesty, by reason of ceasing to hold office pursuant to subsection (1).
- Date modified: