Marginal note:Oath of office
103. The First Nations Chief Statistician, every person employed by the Institute, every person retained under contract by the Institute and every employee and agent of a person retained under contract by the Institute shall, before commencing their duties, swear or solemnly affirm that he or she will comply with section 108 and will not without authority disclose any information acquired in the course of his or her duties that can be related to any identifiable individual, first nation, business or organization.
104. The purposes of the Institute are to
(a) provide statistical information on, and analysis of, the fiscal, economic and social conditions of
(i) Indians and other members of first nations,
(ii) members of other aboriginal groups, and
(iii) other persons who reside on reserve lands or lands of other aboriginal groups;
(b) promote the quality, coherence and compatibility of first nations statistics and their production in accordance with generally accepted standards and practices through collaboration with first nations, federal departments and agencies, provincial departments and agencies and other organizations;
(c) work with, and provide advice to, federal departments and agencies and provincial departments and agencies on first nations statistics;
(d) work in cooperation with Statistics Canada to ensure that the national statistical system meets the needs of first nations and Canada; and
(e) build statistical capacity within first nation governments.
Marginal note:General powers
105. (1) In furtherance of the purposes set out in section 104, the Institute may enter into agreements with aboriginal and other governments and organizations.
Marginal note:Particular powers
(2) The Institute may collect, compile, analyze and abstract data for statistical purposes respecting any of the following matters as they relate to first nations, to reserve lands, to Indians and other members of first nations, to members of other aboriginal groups, and to other persons who reside on reserve lands or lands of other aboriginal groups:
(c) health and welfare;
(d) commercial and industrial activities;
(e) law enforcement, the administration of justice and corrections;
(h) language, culture and traditional activities;
(i) labour and employment;
(j) prices and the cost of living;
(k) transportation and communications;
(l) electric power, gas and water utilities;
(m) public administration;
(n) community services;
(o) the environment;
(p) forestry, fishing and trapping; and
(q) any other matter prescribed by regulation.
(3) The Institute shall publish and make publicly available statistical information collected, compiled, analysed or abstracted under subsection (2) in a manner that does not permit the information to be related to any identifiable individual, business or organization.
- Date modified: